This Healthy Creamy Pea Salad is perfect for lunch or your next potluck! It's got fresh peas, bacon, cheese and the creamiest dressing.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Green peas – use fresh peas or defrosted frozen peas for this recipe.
- Turkey bacon – you can use regular bacon, but it will increase the calorie count.
- Red onion – white onion will work, but it has a milder flavour.
- Red pepper – or any colour bell pepper of your choice.
- Cheddar cheese – substitute for another kind of cheese like Swiss or mozzarella.
- Sour cream – plain Greek yogurt is a healthier option, but will add a different flavour.
- Light mayo – you can use regular mayo if it’s all you have on hand.
- Dijon mustard – stone-ground mustard is the best substitute here.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
- Garlic – freshly minced garlic is best but jarred minced garlic can be used in a pinch.
How to make pea salad
Step 1: Prep your ingredients.
Cook bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, flipping halfway through. Let cool then chop up.
Step 2: Toss everything together.
Meanwhile, add remaining ingredients to a large bowl and toss to combine. Let flavours mingle for at least 30 minutes then serve and enjoy!
Are peas healthy?
Peas are definitely healthy, which makes this pea salad recipe a great healthy option to any meal. The legumes have plenty of health benefits, including:
- Source of plant-based protein
- High in fibre which supports digestive health
- Good source of iron
- Rich in vitamins and nutrients like magnesium, potassium and vitamin C
Frequently Asked Questions
This pea salad recipe is made of green peas, turkey bacon, red onion, red pepper, cheddar cheese, sour cream, light mayo, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and garlic. You can add in pretty much any veggies of your choice to this salad – it’s a great way to clear out your fridge.
This pea salad has 22 grams of carbs per serving.
This recipe for pea salad has 216 calories, so it’s a great low-calorie side dish option. If you want to cut down on the calorie count even more, swap out the sour cream for non-fat sour cream or even plain Greek yogurt.
You can use fresh green peas or frozen peas for this pea salad recipe. If you’re using frozen peas, let them defrost on the counter at room temperature or run them under cold water.
Storing and reheating
This pea salad can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. It’ll probably taste even better the next day because the veggies have had time to soak in all the flavours! Store any leftovers in an airtight glass container or meal prep bowl, then eat it cold.
Freezing this recipe
While you can’t freeze this entire pea salad recipe, you can freeze any fresh green peas you’re not going to use right away. Transfer the peas to a Ziploc bag and freeze for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to use the peas, let them defrost at room temperature then use them to make a fresh salad.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
Healthy Creamy Pea Salad
- 5 cups green peas or 1 (750g) package frozen green peas, defrosted
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp light mayo
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, flipping halfway through. Let cool then chop up.
- Meanwhile, add remaining ingredients to a large bowl and toss to combine. Let flavours mingle for at least 30 minutes then serve and enjoy!