This Low Carb Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl with ground chicken & cabbage is a delicious takeout-inspired dinner that comes together in 30-minutes!
Ingredients in egg roll bowls
Get ready for the easiest one pot weeknight dinner ever!
This Low Carb Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl is a delicious, easy dinner idea that comes together with the help of your pressure cooker – I've done a version of it on the stovetop (what I deemed Potsticker Bowls) but the Instant Pot version is so much easier and honestly makes lunch prep so easy.
Here's what you need on hand:
- sesame oil
- low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- ground chicken
- garlic, minced
- shittake mushrooms
- chicken broth
- coleslaw mix
- green onions, sliced
- sesame seeds & Sriracha, for topping
How to make Instant Pot egg roll in a bowl
If you want dinner ready to go in less than 30 minutes with no attending to it during the cooking process, then the Instant Pot is where it's at!
Here's how to make these bowls in the Instant Pot:
- Add sesame oil, soy sauce, ground chicken, garlic, mushrooms and chicken broth to the Instant Pot and pressure cook for 2 minutes.
- Do a quick release of the pressure, then open the lid and stir in matchstick carrots and coleslaw mix. Replace the lid and let it all sit for 5 minutes.
- Open the lid once more, stir in green onions and sesame seeds then serve and enjoy!
Note: While this is a one-pot quick and easy method, you may need to microwave for a minute after serving in a bowl to get the dish piping hot (just depends how hot you like your food).
How to make this recipe on the stovetop:
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet, then add ground chicken, garlic, soy sauce, mushrooms and carrots, leaving out the chicken broth. Saute for 7-8 minutes until chicken is browned and mushrooms have released liquid.
- Stir in coleslaw mix, stir frying for another 2-3 minutes until cabbage is softened and mixture is hot.
- Remove from heat, stir in green onions and garnish with sesame seeds and sriracha. Serve and enjoy!
If you're looking to add some grains to this Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl, you could add in some jasmine rice or quinoa and a little bit more broth – in this case, I would say 2 extra cups of broth and 1 cup of rice/quinoa would suffice, but honestly these bowls are so filling you won't even miss the carbs!
Here are some other substitutions you can make:
- Ground chicken: feel free to use ground turkey or ground pork instead
- Sesame oil: canola or olive oil will work in a pinch, but the flavour will be slightly different
- Coleslaw mix: use 2 cups of thinly sliced green cabbage instead
- Shittake mushrooms: use any type of mushrooms you'd like
- Soy sauce: use tamari or coconut aminos if you're looking to make this recipe gluten-free/Whole 30
A note on reheating after cooking in the pressure cooker
Now, I know what you're thinking.
Throwing in this much raw cabbage will cause the food to be cold in the end, and you're partially right. The hot chicken, mushroom and broth mixture really only semi-cooks the cabbage mix, but that's what allows this to be such a super quick and easy one pot meal.
Once you've got everything mixed together and have let it sit for about 5 minutes, you may want to microwave each serving size for a minute or two just to get everything piping hot.
But hey, it's way better than overcooked, shrunken up cabbage right?
I will admit, if you only like your veggies tender crisp and not super thoroughly cooked, this Low Carb Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl probably isn't for you.
But I really do like my veggies only slightly steamed, and I've heard they retain a lot more nutritional value when cooked this way so it's up to you to decide what you like.
Storing & reheating
You can store these egg roll bowls in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, simply microwave for 1-2 minutes, stirring halfway through. Normally I would advise you to sprinkle some water overtop so the chicken doesn't dry out but the mushrooms and cabbage will release more liquid upon reheating which will keep the chicken moist.
Can you freeze egg roll bowls?
Unfortunately this recipe will not freeze very well. You can freeze the cooked ground chicken and mushroom mixture, however. If you'd like to reuse it or make it ahead of time, simply freeze that mixture and let it defrost in the fridge overnight before serving. From there, you can saute the mi
More Instant Pot recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some Glass meal prep bowls if you plan on packing this recipe up for lunch
- I get all my free-range poultry from Butcher Box
Low Carb Instant Pot Egg Roll Bowls
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (8oz) package shittake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup matchstick cut carrots
- 2 bags coleslaw mix
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Sriracha, for topping
- Add sesame oil, soy sauce, ground chicken, garlic, mushrooms and chicken broth to Instant Pot in that order. Cook on high pressure 2 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to pre-heat and then the 2 minutes to cook. When complete, press cancel and do a quick release of the steam, waiting until the pressure gauge drops back down and the lid is safe to open.
- Stir in matchstick carrots and coleslaw mix, stirring well to combine. Replace lid and let sit 5 minutes. Open lid and stir in green onions and sesame seeds then serve and enjoy!
- Note: While this is a one-pot quick and easy method, you may need to microwave for a minute after serving in a bowl to get the dish piping hot (just depends how hot you like your food). Leftovers will keep up to 3-5 days in the fridge.