This Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom Chicken is a delicious, hearty weeknight dinner idea made healthier than the classic version of this dish – say hello to your childhood favourite casserole re-envisioned!
I don't know about you, but when I was a kid, things like Hamburger Helper and casseroles (both rice and pasta) using condensed Campbell's soups were a big thing. I think this was probably the case in the late 80s and early 90s when I was growing up.
I honestly don't even know why it was such a thing…though I can get behind a few shortcuts in the kitchen, using canned soup as a sauce almost seems like a bit of a waste when you can use much simpler ingredients that you probably already have lying around.
I guess maybe this was supposed to be the healthier version of using jarred sauces.
Anyway, when I was a kid my mom sometimes made this mushroom rice that I used to die for.
Partially because I'm obsessed with mushrooms, but also partially because it was just so creamy and really turned rice into something I could enjoy eating.
To this day I'm not really a fan of rice on its own though I do value it as a staple in many dishes, especially Thai food and stir fries.
But for me to like rice, you gotta dress it up.
Cream of mushroom chicken to the rescue.
At least I think she used to pair this mushroom rice with chicken.
My childhood eating habits are a bit of a blur, but you get the point. There's nothing better than a little bit of comfort food every once in a while, and that's where this cream of mushroom chicken and rice hits the spot!
How to Make Cream of Mushroom Chicken
Now I've turned this into a more grown-up version without so many preservatives, and most of the ingredients are likely already on hand at home save for the mushrooms.
It's a surprisingly simple combo of mushrooms, garlic, onions, chicken, rice, chicken broth, sour cream and a pinch of thyme.
This cream of mushroom chicken is almost like a mix between a risotto and a casserole.
And did I mention that you make it all in the Instant Pot?
Oh yeah, this recipe's ready in 30 minutes or less, so it really is the reinvented weeknight dinner. Ready quick and in one pot!
You just stir in the sour cream after you cook the chicken, mushrooms and rice and sprinkle a little parsley and red pepper flakes on top.
Now that's an elevated version of a classic!
I also really love this cream of mushroom chicken because it's everything you need in a meal all in one.
No having to make a salad to go with it, or prep the chicken separately.
I swear, I could just cook EVERYTHING in my Instant Pot it's so easy!
Will you be making this Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom Chicken?
You're going to love this reinvented chicken and rice dish so much – and it's so perfect for fall and cozying up on the couch too!
If you try any of my recipes be sure to let me know on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or in the comments – I’d love to see what you come up with!
Meal prep tools
- The Instant Pot DUO Plus 60 is the version I use in this recipe.
- Grab some Glass meal prep bowls if you plan on packing this pasta up for lunch!
- I get free range chicken from my monthly Butcher Box – it's a great way to enjoy healthier meats and poultry and they're even offering 2 free ribeyes and bacon!
Meal prep challenge
If you'd like some more help with meal planning, then you'll love my free 5-day meal prep challenge! Sign up for free below:
Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom Chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium-sized chicken breasts, diced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 8oz packages of mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup shallots, chopped
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Red chili flakes for topping
- Add olive oil, chicken, mushrooms, garlic, shallots, salt and pepper, chicken broth and rice to Instant Pot in that order. Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes, then allow a natural pressure release (about 15-20 minutes).
- Remove lid once pressure gauge has fallen, then stir in sour cream and parsley. Let sit a couple of minutes to thicken, then serve and enjoy!