This is the Creamiest Avocado Smoothie in existence! Just add frozen avocado, frozen mango, banana, protein powder, coconut milk and spinach.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Banana – a ripe banana will be the best addition for sweetness, but if you don’t have any banana on hand, you can leave this out or substitute it with another fruit.
- Coconut milk – feel free to use any non-dairy milk of your choice.
- Frozen avocado – frozen diced avocados will thicken the smoothie, but you can use fresh avocados in place of frozen.
- Frozen mango – if you don’t like mango, you can replace this with frozen berries or any other sweet fruit of your choice.
- Baby spinach – substitute baby spinach with leafy greens like kale, chard, beet greens or collard.
- Vanilla protein powder – whey protein or any vegan protein powder will work in this smoothie. If you don’t have any protein powder on hand, use chia seeds or hemp hearts.
How to make an avocado smoothie
- Assemble all your ingredients.
- Add everything to the blender in order.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into large glasses and enjoy!
Freezing avocados for smoothies
Freezing avocados is a great way to reduce food waste and extend the life of your produce. Slice or dice the avocados into quarter pieces and then place them into an airtight container or freezer bag. Once you've prepped your avocados, place them in the freezer where they can last for up to 6 months.
After freezing your avocados, you will want to use them for smoothies because they won't have the same effect when used as toppings for salads or wraps.
Frequently Asked Questions
Avocados are great in smoothies! They add the creamy texture to smoothies that many of us love while still being healthy and dairy-free. A great tip is to pair avocado with coconut milk because it makes for a great combination of flavour.
Yes! Avocados add a variety of nutritional benefits. They will keep you feeling full longer because of the protein, potassium and healthy fats that they contain. It also makes for a great green smoothie, without the taste of a green smoothie!
The best part about using avocados in smoothies is that they pair beautifully with all the other fruits or veggies you could possible use! For this recipe, I combined the avocado with bananas and mango, but pretty much any fruits would be good. Mix and match until you find your favourite combo!
Storing your smoothies
This recipe makes two servings (two smoothies), making them great for meal prep! Put the extra smoothie into a mason jar, seal it tight and place in the fridge where you'll be able to store it for up to 3 days.
Since this smoothie will last for up to 3 days, feel free to make several smoothies at a time. That way you're able to enjoy one right away and the rest throughout the week.
Freezing this recipe
While you can’t freeze avocado smoothies once they’ve been blended, you can assemble freezer smoothie packs that will make prepping your smoothies a breeze. Add the avocado, bananas, frozen mango and baby spinach to a freezer-safe Ziploc bag and freeze it for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to make your smoothie, all you have to do is dump the bag into the blender, add in the coconut milk and protein powder and blend.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
More smoothie recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some mason jars for storing extra smoothie servings.
- Here is the protein powder I typically use!
- I like to use a Magic Bullet blender to save time on clean up.
The Creamiest Avocado Smoothie
- 1 banana
- 1 cup coconut milk from a carton
- 1/2 cup frozen diced avocado
- 1/2 cup frozen diced mango
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder
- Add all ingredients in the order in which they are listed to a blender. Blend together until smooth.
- Pour into two large glasses (this recipe serves two), or serve one portion now and store the other portion in a mason jar with lid for up to 3 days until ready to serve. Enjoy!