This is the Ultimate Juiciest Turkey Burger Recipe – the secret for explosive flavour is grated onions and garlic. It's super healthy too!
How do you make burgers from scratch?
- Prep the seasonings. Add the ground turkey to a large mixing bowl, then measure out all of the burger seasoning ingredients into small prep bowls. Also, crack the egg and measure the breadcrumbs into prep bowls.
- Combine turkey burger mixture.
- Form the meat mixture into 4 equal sized patties. Optional step: chill the patties in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before you cook them to help prevent them from falling apart.
- Cook the burgers in a skillet or on a grill. Cooking your burgers in a skillet on the stove top will take 4 to 5 minutes per side. If you grill them, be sure to preheat your grill to 400 degrees F. Either way, you will want to use a kitchen thermometer to check that the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toast the buns and assemble the burgers. I like to lightly toast the insides of hamburger buns. It gives them a little more structure. As a result, the turkey burgers are easier to hold without the toppings falling out of the bun!
- Serve and enjoy!
Turkey burger seasoning
On its own, ground turkey has very little to offer in terms of flavour. The good news is, with just a few simple pantry staples you can create the perfect seasoning for your burgers. I use a blend of basic spices along with some Worcestershire sauce, freshly chopped onion and garlic to season my turkey burgers.
Here is what you will need:
- yellow onion, grated
- fresh garlic clove, minced
- Worcestershire sauce
- Dijon mustard
- Kosher or sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Protein: Change up the flavor of your burgers by substituting ground chicken or beef for the turkey. Or, make a veggie burger by using cooked black beans or lentils instead of meat.
- Bread: Consider making keto burgers by serving them in lettuce wraps instead of bread.
- Seasonings: I use simple spices to season the ground turkey, but there are plenty of other tasty ways to add flavour. Go for a Mexican flair by using taco seasoning, or add Mediterranean spices like ground oregano, basil, and rosemary.
How do you keep turkey burgers from falling apart?
The key to creating burgers that don't fall apart is to use a binder. For this recipe, one raw egg and some breadcrumbs will hold the ground turkey together. Other things you can do to keep burgers from falling apart:
- Chill or freeze the patties before you cook them. The colder the burgers are, the better they will stay together after they hit the heat.
- Don't over work the meat mixture. Not only does working the mixture too much cause burgers to lose structure, but it also makes for dry burgers.
- Use wet hands to mold the burgers. This will help the patties to take form more easily before you place them on the grill or in a skillet.
- Less flipping. When you cook the burgers, resist flipping them more than once during the cook time.
Is turkey healthier than hamburger?
As long as the ground turkey you use is at least 95 percent lean and the bird was fed well before butchering, turkey is usually a healthier option than ground beef.
Also, turkey is lower in cholesterol and saturated fat than beef.
Turkey burger calories
This burger recipe uses a pound of ground turkey and will make 4 patties. If you make them according to the recipe below, one burger will be approximately 423 calories, which includes your bun, 2 tbsp special sauce and your toppings. Compare that to a regular burger and you're saving over 150 calories. Not too shabby!
What goes good with a turkey burger?
Tasty additions to serve with this meal include cold sides like cucumber salad or potato salad.
Or keep things healthy with a batch of Healthy Airfryer Sweet Potato Fries.
Looking for an easy fun cocktail to serve with the meal? For a refreshing drink, make a pitcher of watermelon and cucumber mojitos!
More topping ideas
Part of the fun of making burgers is piling them high with all of your favorite toppings!
Some tasty topping ideas include:
- Cucumber and onion slices with tzatziki sauce
- Grilled veggies such as mushrooms, squash or zucchini planks, or grilled bell peppers
- Spice it up! Add some heat with toppings like jalapenos, salsa, or a splash of sriracha sauce.
Storing and reheating
If you have any turkey burgers left over, wrap them well in plastic wrap, a zip top storage bag, or meal prep containers, then keep them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How to reheat burgers without drying them out:
- On a grill: Freeze cooked patties before reheating them on a grill. Then, spritz them with some water as they cook. This will keep them moist and juicy!
- To reheat in an oven, place them in a baking pan with a teaspoon or so of water. Warm them through at 350 F.
- In a skillet: Place burgers in a preheated skillet. Add a teaspoon water to the skillet, cover the pan, and heat to an internal temperature of 165 F.
Freezing these burgers
You can freeze the burgers raw or cooked. Either way, store them in a freezer safe storage container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. If you're freezing raw turkey patties, keep a piece of parchment paper between each burger to ensure they do not stick to each other.
More yummy burger recipes
- Portobello beef burgers
- Low carb burger lettuce wraps
- Shake Shack burgers
- Tandoori chicken naan burgers
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Save time and use this pre-made special sauce for your burgers
- I get all my free-range ground turkey from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen
- Get a meat thermometer to make sure your burgers are cooked through
Ultimate Juiciest Turkey Burger Recipe
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 yellow onion, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Topping ideas & assembly
- 4 burger buns
- Cheese slices
- Red onion, sliced
- Condiments such as mayo, ketchup, relish, mustard, etc.
Optional special sauce recipe
- 1/2 cup light mayo
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp relish
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic or onion powder
- Mix ingredients together for burger patties in a large bowl, then form into equal-sized patties.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add burger patties and cook for 4-5 minutes per side until cooked through (meat thermometer should read 165 F in the middle of burger).
- Meanwhile, mix together ingredients for special sauce if desired, along with other toppings.
- Add burger patties to buns (can toast for 1 min if desired), along with desired toppings then serve and enjoy!
- Preheat BBQ to med-high heat (400 F). Mix ingredients together for burger patties in a large bowl, then form into equal-sized patties and spray each side with cooking spray.
- Grill burgers for 7-8 minutes until fully cooked all the way through (should register 165 F in the center). Serve with buns and toppings. Can toast buns on the grill for 1 min each if desired.