These Mediterranean Portobello Beef Burgers are a healthy BBQ recipe – topped with garlic and herb cheese, roasted red peppers, arugula and basil mayo, you'll be craving these all week!
This post is sponsored by Armstrong Cheese. Thanks so much for supporting the brands I love and use – they help keep my blog up and running!
Oh hi there!
I've got a very important question to ask you today:
Are you ready for burger season?!
Let me just start by saying that these Mediterranean Portobello Beef Burgers are no ordinary burger. First of all, I've snuck a little bit of extra veg in the patties (you won't even notice!), so they are healthier than your traditional burger and actually much juicier. Second of all – garlic herb cheese!!!
I am just LIVING for summer right now. It's been raining all spring so far and let's just say I'm over the whole bad weather thing and eagerly awaiting BBQ and patio season. And I don't know about you, but I actually BBQ all year round. There are just some recipes that are much tastier cooked on the grill. Burgers are one of those foods – a pan-cooked burger just can't compare with the delightful smoky finish you get from a grill.
Ironically on the day I shot these Mediterranean Portobello Beef Burgers it was pouring rain and I was running in and out of the house like a mad woman trying to get everything ready. You really should have seen it. But I'm dedicated to getting the right flavours in my recipes. So dedicated…
Okay, fine. I'm exaggerating just a bit. I really only had to go outside two or three times. But that's good, because that means these Mediterranean Portobello Beef Burgers are sooooo low maintenance. The first step is getting the BBQ nice and hot, and then you wanna grease both sides of each burger patty just a bit with some olive oil before grilling. Place them gently on the BBQ (no squishing!!!) then grill 'em for about 5-6 minutes per side (you'll know they're ready to flip when they easily come unstuck).
Top with a little bit of Armstrong Cheese's new cheese (YAAAASSSSS) and you are ready to top with all your fave veggies and my super simple basil mayo.
Now I know the toppings seem extra fancy and yes, okay, they kind of are. But the combo of flavours is totally worth going the extra little step. Roast the peppers, red onion and mushrooms in the oven and then top with arugula and basil mayo. If you get the process started right before you grill the burgers, you'll be in good shape by the time you go to eat. If timed right you could have these on the table in 30 minutes or less!
Have the veggies roasting in the oven while you're mixing together the beef patties, then get the burgers on the grill and shred the cheese. Armstrong Cheese just launched three new cheese blocks – Havarti, Monterey Jack with Jalapeno and Garlic & Herb – and honestly they bring such a nice additional level of flavour to these gourmet burgers. It's always nice to change up your routine and make something delicious, healthy and unique for dinner. I'm ALL about that foodie life over here!
The basil mayo is so simple too: blend fresh basil and mayo together in a food processor or Magic Bullet and boom! You've got a unique flavour that really pairs well with the herb and garlic cheese. These Mediterranean Portobello Beef Burgers are a fabulous burst of fresh spring flavour! If you're entertaining this summer I highly recommend you give these a try, or even if you're craving a healthy spin on burgers one night.
Okay, let's also talk about these portobello beef patties a bit more. I diced up a portobello mushroom and mixed it in with the beef mixture and let's just say these babies are BOMB! And you get some more veg in at the same time. That's a win-win!
Will you be making these Mediterranean Portobello Beef Burgers?
I can't even deal with how mouth-watering these are. I think they're gonna become my next go-to anytime I have company over. It can all be made ahead of time and the flavours are super unique. Say goodbye to ketchup and mustard as condiments only. And most importantly – REAL, delicious, wondrous cheese!!!
Mediterranean Portobello Beef Burgers
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 block Armstrong garlic and herb cheese, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 portobello mushroom, sliced
- 1 medium sized red onion, sliced
- 1 package Arugula
- 4 burger buns
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 1 portobello mushroom, finely minced
- 1 small yellow onion, grated
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat BBQ to med-high heat, and preheat oven to 450 F. Prepare veggies and toss red peppers with a bit of salt and 1 tbsp olive oil. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together ingredients for burger patties. Divide mixture into four 1/2-inch thick patties. Brush each with remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil, then place gently on grill.
- Cook burgers for about 5-6 minutes per side (you'll know they're ready to flip when they easily come unstuck from the grill).
- Meanwhile, remove red peppers from the oven. Add portobellos and cook another 5 minutes. After that, add red onions and cook another 5 minutes then remove veggies from the oven altogether and set aside.
- Make basil mayo while everything is cooking by blending mayo, lemon juice and basil together in a Magic Bullet or food processor.
- In the last two minutes or so of cooking time add garlic herb cheese to burgers and lightly toast buns on the BBQ. Remove and serve burgers topped with roasted veggies, arugula and basil mayo. Enjoy!