My Ultimate Chili Cheese Fries Recipe is really something else. I don't want to brag, but this is an out-of-this-world, look-forward-to-it-all-day sort of dinner recipe.
Believe it or not, this is a low-calorie version of everyone's favourite loaded french fries. One serving is just 420 calories, and 24g of protein–part of this is the homemade chili, and non-processed cheese. There's nothing but freshly grated cheddar over these delicious Chili Cheese Fries!
I've tried to incorporate as many veggies as possible in these Chili Cheese Fries, and that starts with the chili itself. I love a homemade chili, and the surprising part is how easy chili is to make. You don't need tons of time for it to simmer–in fact, you can make it as the fries are cooking in the oven if you get your timing right!
I don't know about you, but I like my fries fully loaded. The more toppings the better. You can of course just use some shredded cheese and green onions on top of the chili, but it's your call. I like my fries supreme style!!
The trick to great oven fries is to not coat them in too much oil, flip them at the right time, and turn the oven pan about halfway through the cooking time. Believe it or not, you'll want to cook the fries for longer the first time you put them in–about 13-15 minutes at first and then 8 minutes after you flip them and rotate the pan. Take it from me, it's a science. The science behind great fries that is!
How gorgeous do these look? Will you be trying these Ultimate Chili Cheese Fries?!
Grab some Glass meal prep bowls if you plan on packing this up for lunch!
And of course I get all my grass-fed beef from Butcher Box!
Ultimate Chili Cheese Fries Recipe
- 2 Russet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lb Ground chicken or turkey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- Half green pepper finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tomato seeded and diced
- Shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese
- green onions chopped
- sour cream
- Anything else you may want such as hot peppers, salsa, olives, pickles, lettuce, etc.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Using a mandoline or a very sharp knife, slice potatoes so that they are as thin as possible--think McDonald's style french fries!
- Toss potatoes in olive oil, salt and pepper, and then spread on baking sheets. You can cook up to four baking sheets at a time so don't be afraid to leave some space on sheets so fries don't become overcrowded. Bake 20 minutes, flipping fries halfway through.
- Cook chili while fries are in oven by heating olive oil, adding meat and veggies, adding spices, then tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min.
- Chili and fries should be finished at the same time. Change oven settings from bake to broil.
- Plate fries by stacking them on top of each other on oven-safe plates. Ladle chili overtop, then sprinkle cheese and place in oven for about 2-3 min until cheese is melted.
- Finish with your favourite toppings, and serve right away while the cheese is melted and hot!