This Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is an easy set-it-and-forget-it dinner! Serve this comfort food with egg noodles for a full meal.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – use any neutral cooking oil here, such as avocado or canola oil.
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs – you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead.
- Mushrooms – summer squash or zucchini would also be good here.
- Carrots – double up on the celery or try using some parsnips instead of carrots.
- Red pepper – swap out for some roasted red peppers for a deeper flavour.
- Celery – double up on the carrots or leave this out altogether.
- Yellow onion – white onion or shallots can also be used.
- Garlic – I prefer the flavour of freshly minced garlic but jarred minced garlic will work in a pinch.
- Italian seasoning – make your own using a blend of dried basil, oregano, rosemary, parsley and thyme.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
- Marinara sauce – use a homemade sauce or use your favourite store-bought version.
- Chicken broth – beef broth or vegetable broth would also do the trick.
- Red or white wine – you can leave this out if need be.
- Egg noodles – serve your chicken cacciatore over another kind of pasta or even rice.
- Fresh parsley – garnish with fresh basil instead or leave this out altogether.
Skip the Ads and Get Right to the Recipes!
- ZERO ADS on over 600 recipes!
- Weekly Meal Plans, Grocery & Prep Lists
- Bonus eBooks
How to make chicken cacciatore in a slow cooker
Step 1: Prep your ingredients.
Step 2: Add everything to the slow cooker.
Dump all the ingredients except the egg noodles and parsley into the slow cooker.
Step 3: Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Meanwhile, cook the egg noodles.
Step 4: Serve and enjoy!
Serve the chicken cacciatore over the egg noodles and garnish with fresh parsley.
What to serve with chicken cacciatore
Slow cooker chicken cacciatore is typically served over egg noodles or pasta. Because it's a hearty meal on its own, you really don't even need to serve it with anything extra. However, some people prefer to serve it with rice rather than pasta. Other tasty side dish possibilities include:
Frequently Asked Questions
Chicken cacciatore sauce is typically made of marinara sauce with spices and fresh veggies such as mushrooms, carrots, bell peppers, celery and onions.
If the sauce is thinner than you like, make a cornstarch slurry to thicken it up. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and then stir the cornstarch slurry into the sauce and cook on low for 5-10 minutes. Easy-peasy!
While I like making chicken cacciatore in the crock pot, you can easily make it in the Instant Pot if you’re short on time. Add olive oil to the bottom of the pot then add in your chicken and veggies. Leave out the egg noodles or they'll overcook! Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes, then do a quick release of the pressure. Make sure to cook your egg noodles about 5-10 minutes before the cacciatore is ready, then serve the chicken overtop of the noodles.
Storing and reheating
For an easy meal prep dinner, you can prepare your crock pot chicken cacciatore ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days. I’d recommend waiting to make the egg noodles until the day of. Reheat the chicken in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes or in a pan on the stovetop, then serve over fresh noodles!
Can you freeze chicken cacciatore?
You sure can! This slow cooker chicken cacciatore can be frozen without the egg noodles in freezer-safe glass bowls or Ziploc bags for up to 3 months. You can reheat from frozen in the microwave, but I find the best way to reheat this dish is to let it defrost in the fridge overnight then reheat on the stovetop over medium heat.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
Meal Prep Tools
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced in half
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 (650mL) jar marinara sauce
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 cup red or white wine optional – I recommend red wine for best results
- 1 lb egg noodles to serve
- Fresh parsley or basil, for garnish
- Dump all ingredients except for egg noodles and parsley in slow cooker, then cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, cook egg noodles according to package directions.
- Turn off slow cooker once finished cooking. Serve chicken mixture over egg noodles then garnish with fresh herbs. Serve and enjoy!
Join The Girl on Bloor Premium!
- ZERO ADS!
- Weekly Meal Prep Checklists
- Bonus eBooks