This Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is an easy set-it-and-forget-it dinner! Serve this comfort food with egg noodles for a full meal.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – use any neutral cooking oil here, such as avocado or canola oil.
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs – you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead.
- Mushrooms – summer squash or zucchini would also be good here.
- Carrots – double up on the celery or try using some parsnips instead of carrots.
- Red pepper – swap out for some roasted red peppers for a deeper flavour.
- Celery – double up on the carrots or leave this out altogether.
- Yellow onion – white onion or shallots can also be used.
- Garlic – I prefer the flavour of freshly minced garlic but jarred minced garlic will work in a pinch.
- Italian seasoning – make your own using a blend of dried basil, oregano, rosemary, parsley and thyme.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
- Marinara sauce – use a homemade sauce or use your favourite store-bought version.
- Chicken broth – beef broth or vegetable broth would also do the trick.
- Red or white wine – you can leave this out if need be.
- Egg noodles – serve your chicken cacciatore over another kind of pasta or even rice.
- Fresh parsley – garnish with fresh basil instead or leave this out altogether.
How to make chicken cacciatore in a slow cooker
- Prep your ingredients.
- Add everything to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Serve with egg noodles and dig in!
What to serve with chicken cacciatore
Traditionally, egg noodles or pasta are served with this meal. Because it's a hearty meal on its own, you really don't even need to serve it with anything extra. However, some people prefer to serve it with rice rather than pasta. Other tasty side dish possibilities include:
- Roasted potatoes
- Cauliflower rice
- Mashed potatoes
- Garlic bread
- Garden salad
Frequently Asked Questions
Chicken cacciatore is an Italian dish typically made of chicken cooked in a tomato-based sauce with herbs, bell peppers, onion, garlic and sometimes wine, served over pasta.
The sauce for this recipe cooks alongside the other ingredients and consists of mushrooms, carrots, red pepper, celery, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, marinara sauce, chicken or beef broth and red or white wine. The wine is optional, but I find that it adds even more amazing flavour to the sauce.
If the sauce is thinner then you like it, there are a few ways you can thicken it up. Make a cornstarch slurry, remove the chicken from the slow cooker, cover the chicken with foil and then stir the slurry into the sauce and cook on low power for 5-10 minutes. Easy-peasy!
Yes! Add olive oil to the bottom of the pot then add in your chicken and veggies. Leave out the egg noodles or they'll overcook! Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes, then do a quick release of the pressure. Make sure to cook your egg noodles about 5-10 minutes before the cacciatore is ready, then serve the chicken overtop of the noodles.
Storing and reheating
For an easy meal prep dinner, you can prepare crock pot chicken cacciatore ahead of time, according to the recipe below. The only thing you won’t make until you’re ready to serve the meal are the egg noodles. You can store the chicken cacciatore in the fridge for up to 5 days then reheat in the microwave or in a pan on the stovetop.
Can you freeze chicken cacciatore?
You sure can! Chicken cacciatore can be frozen without the egg noodles in freezer-safe glass bowls or Ziploc bags for up to 3 months. You can reheat from frozen in the microwave, but I find the best way to reheat this dish is to let it defrost in the fridge overnight then reheat on the stovetop over medium heat.
Want to Learn How to Meal Prep? Join Dinner Prep Pro!
Our meal planning service removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night thanks to our prep ahead checklists. It takes just one hour of ingredient prep on a Sunday!
More easy slow cooker recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning this cacciatore into your weekly lunches.
- I get all my free-range chicken from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
- Get a meat thermometer to make sure your chicken is cooked through.
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced in half
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 (650mL) jar marinara sauce
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 cup red or white wine optional – I recommend red wine for best results
- 1 lb egg noodles to serve
- Fresh parsley or basil, for garnish
- Dump all ingredients except for egg noodles and parsley in slow cooker, then cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, cook egg noodles according to package directions.
- Turn off slow cooker once finished cooking. Serve chicken mixture over egg noodles then garnish with fresh herbs. Serve and enjoy!