This easy shawarma spice blend is made out of turmeric, coriander and other spices you have at home. Use it for chicken recipes and more!
Ingredients and substitutions
- turmeric – if you don't have turmeric, you can replace this with curry powder for a slightly different flavour
- cumin – you can use more ground coriander instead
- paprika – cayenne pepper or additional chili powder can be used instead of paprika
- coriander – you can use more ground cumin instead
- nutmeg – you can use allspice instead for a similar flavour
- chili powder – make your own chili powder using a blend of paprika, cumin and cayenne
- cinnamon – extra nutmeg, allspice or cassia can be used in place of cinnamon
Easiest Shawarma Spice Blend
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl then funnel into a spice jar if desired. We have linked to the ones we use above this recipe card.
- Add sticker label to your jar if desired. Download our free template and purchase sticker printer paper above the recipe card.
Frequently Asked Questions
Shawarma spice is full of warming spices like cinnamon and nutmeg but it's not typically considered hot or spicy. You can adjust the amount of paprika or add in cayenne if you're looking for something with a little more heat.
Gyro and shawarma have some key differences when it comes to their origins, flavours, and toppings. Gyros are Greek in origin and feature meat that is heavily seasoned with oregano. Shawarma, on the other hand, comes from the Middle East with meat seasoned with a mix of different spices such as turmeric, coriander and cinnamon. Both are traditionally served on pita bread, but you'll often find gyro topped with tzatziki and fresh vegetables like lettuce and tomato. Shawarma is often served with pickled vegetables and tahini instead.
Shawarma spice is full of a bunch of spices that contain a bunch of vitamins and minerals. Specifically, turmeric is anti-inflammatory while cumin and coriander are full of antioxidants.