This post has been sponsored by Almond Breeze and I have been compensated in developing this recipe. Thanks for supporting the brands that keep The Girl on Bloor up and running!
Have you ever been so busy that dinner is the last thing on your mind? I've been having a bunch of those days lately. With deadline after deadline for school looming, it's been really difficult to fit in eating around my temporarily crazy schedule. In fact, I meant to publish a post yesterday but had just finished up three assignments and a work commitment so for the sake of my mental health, I decided to skip it…yikes!
All this week it's been a real struggle to think of what to have for dinner. I needed something quick, easy and delicious. Lucky for me (and now for you!), I thought up a last-minute, one-pan wonder for those crazy days where I can't even fathom cooking. This One Pan Creamy Chicken with Quinoa, Mushrooms and Asparagus is a piping hot, tasty skillet meal that is perfect for those of us who are always on the go, and aren't slowing down anytime soon.
Here's the thing. Since I've been developing recipes for this blog, I've been trying to make as many one pan and one pot meals as possible. They are beyond my favourite type of meal, and not just because they're convenient – I consider myself a semi-adventurous home cook and I love being creative and experimenting with new flavours. I also love using up extra ingredients that I have kicking around in my fridge. Cutting back on waste and adding a little novelty to your life: it's a beautiful thing.
I used Almond Breeze in this recipe as opposed to milk or cream because it saves unnecessary calories and still adds a savoury, creamy flavour that blends well with the quinoa and chicken. This one pan creamy chicken is actually a bit like a risotto, but less maintenance. Sit back, relax and await the fruit of your labours – or lack of labour I should say!?
I used asparagus and mushrooms, two of my favourite seasonal spring veggies, but you can pretty much add whatever tickles your fancy! I would recommend leaving in the sundried tomatoes, however, as they bring a vibrant pop of flavour that complements the sauce and chicken nicely. This meal brings me back to some of the meals my mom served on weeknights when I was a kid: they went back to the roots of simplicity, but did not compromise for a second on flavour. In fact, this skillet is kind of like a healthier version of those creamy chicken, mushroom and rice casseroles…who remembers those?!?
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pre-seasoned with salt & pepper
- 25 mushrooms sliced
- 10 in sun-dried tomatoes packedoil
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup Almond Breeze almond beverage
- 3/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus ends chopped off
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and garlic, sautéing for 30 seconds. Add chicken and mushrooms, cooking for about 10 minutes, turning chicken over twice and until mushrooms start to release juices.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, quinoa and flour, stirring around to coat evenly. Add stock and Almond Breeze, cooking for about 8 minutes until quinoa has absorbed liquid. Add parmesan cheese. salt and pepper and stir completely, adding asparagus sprigs in after. Cook for another 3-5 minutes until asparagus is tender.
- Serve hot and enjoy!