This Easiest 4-Ingredient Frozen Yogurt is made with bananas, berries, Greek yogurt and honey – this healthy treat is ready in just 4 hours!
Ingredients in this recipe
Here's what you need to make this healthy treat:
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Frozen fruit (any type)
- Any optional toppings
How to make frozen yogurt
It's SO easy to make froyo at home! Here's how:
- Add all ingredients for frozen yogurt to a blender or food processor, adding bananas first.
- Pulse at first, scraping down the sides with a spatula then continue blending well until completely combined and smooth.
- Add yogurt mixture to a glass 9×6 (1 quart) dish.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Serve using a warm ice cream scoop.
- Add toppings of choice and enjoy!
Is frozen yogurt healthy?
On its own, yogurt is full of protein, calcium, and has plenty of vitamins and other healthy nutrients. But frozen yogurt is not necessarily healthy. Sure, it is healthier than dairy ice cream, simply because of the additional nutrition in the yogurt. But many store brands of frozen yogurt have refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup and other unhealthy ingredients in them.
For this reason, it's important to check the nutrition label on the package.
Making your own frozen yogurt allows you to control the ingredients. As a result, you can know for sure what is in your frozen dessert! My version of frozen yogurt is super healthy and uses only whole food ingredients so you can rest assured knowing you're making the healthiest version possible.
Different ways to sweeten it
There are a few different ways to sweet frozen yogurt, including:
- Liquid sweeteners: Honey, maple syrup, agave syrup, molasses and Stevia drops are great options for sweetening desserts to make them healthier. I use honey as a sweetener in this frozen yogurt recipe.
- Fruit sugars – Fruits that are good sources of natural sugar include bananas, dates, applesauce, pomegranate, cherries, and mango. Banana is my sweetener of choice for this dessert. Not only does it offer sweetness, but it also helps to make the frozen yogurt thick and creamy. For extra sweetness, a thick consistency, and vibrant color, I add frozen raspberries.
- Refined sugars – You can also use traditional granulated white or brown sugar as a sweetener. However, keep in mind that because frozen yogurt doesn't have a cooked base like ice cream does, the sugar may not completely dissolve. This means the yogurt may have a gritty texture.
There are just four ingredients in the yogurt, so there aren't too many substitution options.
- Yogurt – I use plain flavor full fat Greek yogurt . A good substitution is vanilla Greek yogurt. Or, use traditional full fat yogurt rather than Greek. Another option is to use low-fat yogurt but keep in mind that your dessert won't be as creamy.
If you need a dairy free or vegan option, you could use a non-dairy milk yogurt such as coconut milk.
- Sweetener – To sweeten the frozen yogurt naturally, I use banana, frozen raspberries, and a touch of honey. To make a vegan frozen yogurt, you could swap out the honey for maple syrup.
More flavour combinations
There are plenty of ways to change the flavor of your dessert!
- Frozen fruits – You can swap out the raspberries for another frozen fruit of your choice. Blueberries, mango, pineapple, or anything else you would like.
- Spreads – Consider adding in a swirl of nut butter, cookie butter, or Nutella.
- Extracts – Do you know that there are over 20 different flavor extracts? They are available in flavors like vanilla, mint, peppermint, coconut, and even root beer! Just a drop or two of any of them will change the flavor of your frozen yogurt.
Any of your favorite ice cream toppings will be delicious on top of frozen yogurt. Nuts, sprinkles, crushed candies, flavored syrups like chocolate or caramel; your options are virtually endless!
Storing and serving
Of course, you'll need to store your yogurt dessert in the freezer. To prevent any ice crystals from forming, keep it in a container with a tight fitting lid. Glass meal prep storage containers are perfect for this. You can also find plastic ice cream containers in kitchen specialty stores or online from places like Rubbermaid or Amazon.
The frozen yogurt will store well for about 3 months. I'm doubtful that it will last that long though! 😉
The consistency of the frozen yogurt will become harder the longer it stays in the freezer. To make serving easier, run your ice cream scoop under some hot tap water for a minute before scooping.
More healthy sweet treats
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Get some plastic ice cream containers to store leftover frozen yogurt
4-Ingredient Frozen Yogurt
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup frozen fruit (I used raspberries)
- 2 tbsp honey
- Shredded coconut
- Chocolate chips
- Fresh fruit
- Add all ingredients for frozen yogurt to a blender or food processor, adding bananas first. Pulse at first, scraping down the sides with a spatula then continue blending well until completely combined and smooth.
- Add yogurt mixture to a glass 9x6 (1 quart) dish and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving. Add toppings of choice and enjoy!