This Creamy Crockpot Sausage Tortellini Soup is an easy comforting meal. It's so delicious with turkey sausage, spinach and more!
Skip the Ads and Get Right to the Recipes!
- ZERO ADS on over 600 recipes!
- Weekly Meal Plans, Grocery & Prep Lists
- Bonus eBooks
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – or another neutral cooking oil like canola or avocado oil.
- Italian turkey sausage – you could also make your own homemade turkey sausage using ground turkey and spices.
- Yellow onion – white onion or shallots can be used instead.
- Garlic – freshly minced garlic is best but jarred minced garlic can be used in a pinch.
- Italian seasoning – make your own using a blend of dried basil, parsley, oregano, thyme, rosemary, marjoram and sage.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
- Canned diced tomatoes – a can of crushed tomatoes would also work.
- Chicken broth – vegetable broth is the best substitute here.
- Tortellini – three-cheese tortellini is best but you can use pretty much any variety.
- Heavy cream – half-and-half or regular milk can be used, but the soup won’t be as creamy.
- Baby spinach – kale would also be good in this recipe.
- Grated parmesan – nutritional yeast is a great dairy-free substitute.
- Chili flakes – leave these off if you don’t like spice.
How to make tortellini soup in the crockpot
Step 1: Remove the sausage from its casings.
Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large skillet over med-high heat.
Step 2: Brown the sausage.
Add turkey sausage, breaking up with a spoon, cooking for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned.
Step 3: Cook in the crockpot.
Add turkey sausage and remaining ingredients except for heavy cream, tortellini, spinach and optional garnishes. Cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours.
Step 4: Add in the tortellini.
Add in tortellini in the last 30 minutes of cooking time.
Step 5: Stir in the cream and spinach.
Stir in heavy cream and spinach at the end of cook time.
Step 6: Serve and enjoy!
Ladle into bowls and top with desired garnishes. Enjoy!
Making tortellini soup on the stovetop
If you don’t have a crockpot on hand or you want to make this spinach tortellini soup in a hurry, it's super easy to make it on the stovetop.
Follow the instructions below:
- Brown the turkey sausage.
- Sauté the onions.
- Add everything but the cream, tortellini and spinach.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the tortellini during the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Stir in the cream and spinach.
- Serve and enjoy!
I love this crockpot tortellini soup because it’s a hands-off recipe that can cook all day, but if you want to whip it up after work for a quick weeknight dinner, it’ll be just as delicious!
Frequently Asked Questions
Like the name suggests, tortellini soup is essentially soup made with tortellini pasta. For this recipe, I added in some Italian turkey sausage and lots of seasonings. You can use any variety of tortellini of your choice – I like using three-cheese tortellini but you could also use chicken tortellini to make crockpot chicken tortellini soup.
One bowl of this tortellini soup has 396 calories, which makes it a great low-calorie meal option.
This spinach tortellini soup is delicious on its own, but if you’re looking for side dish ideas, you can’t go wrong with a few slices of garlic bread or even a light side salad.
Storing and reheating
If you plan on storing this crockpot tortellini soup to enjoy throughout the week, hold off on adding the tortellini until you’re ready to eat it. The tortellini will get soggy while it sits in the soup, and you don’t want that! The soup will last in the fridge for 3 to 4 days in airtight glass containers.
When you’re ready to enjoy, reheat the soup in a pot on the stovetop. Stir in the tortellini, let the soup simmer for a bit, then serve! You could even pop it back in the slow cooker for a bit on low.
Freezing this recipe
You can freeze this tortellini soup without the tortellini, cream or spinach for up to 3 months. The tortellini and spinach will get soggy and the cream will curdle when reheating, so you'll want to leave those ingredients out for freezing.
Follow the recipe instructions until the portion where you add the tortellini. Once the soup has cooled completely, you can freeze it in glass bowls or Ziploc bags for up to 3 months.
Let it defrost in the fridge overnight then reheat as normal, adding in the tortellini, spinach and cream following the recipe card instructions.
More easy slow cooker soups
Meal Prep Tools
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning this soup into your weekly lunches.
- If you don't already have a crock pot, make sure to pick one up!
- **Get my full list of tools here**
Creamy Crockpot Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 Italian turkey sausages casings removed
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 (14oz/396mL) can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 oz/300g) package tortellini any kind, preferably 3 cheese
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups baby spinach chopped
- Grated parmesan cheese optional, for serving
- Chili flakes optional, for serving
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large skillet over med-high heat. Add turkey sausage, breaking up with a spoon, cooking for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add turkey sausage and remaining ingredients except for heavy cream, tortellini, spinach and optional garnishes. Cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours.
- Add in tortellini in the last 30 minutes of cooking time. Stir in heavy cream and spinach at the end of cook time, then ladle into bowls and top with desired garnishes. Enjoy!
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large pot over med-high heat. Add turkey sausage, breaking up with a spoon, cooking for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned. Add onions and saute another 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except for heavy cream, tortellini, spinach and optional garnishes. Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes, then add tortellini in the last 5 minutes of cook time.
- Stir in heavy cream and spinach at the end of cook time, then ladle into bowls and top with desired garnishes. Enjoy!
Join The Girl on Bloor Premium!
- ZERO ADS!
- Weekly Meal Prep Checklists
- Bonus eBooks
Leave A Reply!