This Slow Cooker Tuscan Sausage and Kale Soup is a hearty, veggie-filled comfort food option for cold days – just dump it all in the crockpot then set it and forget it!
How to make this recipe
For store-bought sausages, remove casings and break up meat. If making your own sausage, mix together sausage ingredients and break up.
Add to slow cooker, along with rest of ingredients except for red pepper and kale.
Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours.
When ready to serve, stir in red pepper and kale, then let sit for five minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – use a neutral oil to replace olive oil in this recipe.
- Garlic – use fresh or jarred minced garlic. Garlic powder will work in a pinch.
- Yellow onions – substitute with another onion like white onion, shallots or red onions.
- Carrot – sub in a vegetable of your choice or leave out altogether.
- Celery – sub in a vegetable of your choice or leave out altogether.
- Italian seasoning – oregano, dried basil or dried parsley would work well for this recipe.
- Chicken broth – vegetable broth would be the best alternative to chicken broth.
- Crushed tomatoes – diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, canned or fresh tomatoes will work in place of crushed tomatoes.
- Chickpeas – fava beans, pinto beans or black beans would be a great alternative to chickpeas.
- Red pepper – sub in a vegetable of your choice or leave out altogether.
- Kale – collard greens or spinach would be a great alternative to kale for this recipe.
- Ground turkey – any ground meat like chicken or pork will work well for this recipe.
- Fennel – anise or cumin can be used as a substitute for fennel.
- Garlic powder – use ginger powder, cumin, ground coriander, etc. as an alternative to garlic powder.
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
How to make this recipe without a slow cooker
This is such a simple and delicious recipe that I've actually made a few times on the stovetop when the weather first started to get cold. To make this sausage and kale soup on the stovetop, follow these instructions:
- Saute the sausage, onions and garlic for 5 minutes
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 30-40 minutes on a lower temperature.
And that's it! You're ready to enjoy your delicious soup for dinner.
How to make homemade turkey sausage
To make your own sausage, season a pound of ground turkey and season with some fennel seeds, garlic powder, salt and pepper. If you're feeling fancy, some paprika! Once you've made the turkey sausage, you just add it to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients. It's that easy!
Storing and reheating
This tuscan sausage and kale soup will last as leftovers in the fridge up to 5 days. Store this recipe in individual portion sizes for easy reheating. Store in airtight, freezer safe glass meal prep bowls. When you're ready to enjoy your soup, reheat for 2-3 minutes in the microwave or bring to a boil on the stove.
Freezing this recipe
I have the best news this Tuscan Sausage and Kale Soup is freezer-friendly! Freeze this recipe in an airtight meal prep container or a freezer bag. The leftovers will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, reheat in the microwave for 6-7 minutes or bring to a boil on the stove. You can also defrost it in the fridge the night before and then follow reheating instructions above. It's the perfect solution for nights when you don't feel like cooking.
More slow cooker recipes
- One Pot Butternut Squash Chicken Curry
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Lentil Chili
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Dal Red Lentils
Meal prep tools
- Get your square glass meal prep bowls here – they're so great for packing up your leftovers!
- Get your Slow Cooker here!
- And of course I get all my free-range poultry from Butcher Box!
Slow Cooker Tuscan Sausage and Kale Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (796mL) jar crushed/strained tomatoes (passata)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey (or use 4 turkey sausages instead of making your own, casings removed)
- 1 tbsp fennel
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- If using storebought sausages, remove casings and break up meat. If making your own, mix together sausage ingredients and break up. Add to slow cooker, along with rest of ingredients except for red pepper and kale.
- Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours. When ready to serve, stir in red pepper and kale, then let sit for 3-4 minutes. Serve and enjoy!