These Creamy Sriracha Shrimp Poke Bowls are a delicious twist on tuna poke with seaweed salad, lemongrass corn, avocado and wontons!
How to make this recipe
- Cook sushi rice in a rice cooker or as instructed on packaging. Toss sugar and rice vinegar to cooked sushi rice.
- Mix creamy sriracha sauce together and marinade shrimp.
- Meanwhile, stir fry corn, soy sauce, garlic and lemongrass until cooked.
- Add sushi rice to each bowl, then shrimp and all other toppings.
- Mix together and enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Shrimp – use raw, de-shelled shrimp t0 make this recipe as easy as possible; I use frozen shrimp and let it defrost before cooking
- Nori – you can use seaweed salad instead. Both ingredients should be found in the international aisle or in the sushi section of your local grocery store
- Avocado – feel free to use whatever veggies you like. Fresh avocado is recommended but guacamole will also work.
- Seaweed salad – use pre-packaged seaweed salad from the store for easy assembly
- Red pepper – feel free to use whatever veggies you like.
- Red cabbage – feel free to use whatever veggies you like.
- Cilantro (to garnish)
- Sesame seeds (to garnish)
- Wonton strips (to garnish)
- Sushi rice – this is also sometimes known as sticky rice. Using this rice is recommend so it'll taste like sushi, but you can use brown or plain white rice instead
- Sugar – white sugar is recommended otherwise leave it out altogether
- Rice wine vinegar – apple cider vinegar can also be used
Creamy Sriracha Sauce
- Sriracha – any spicy sauce will work well in this recipe. Sambal oelek works well.
- Sour cream – light mayo or plain greek yogurt can also be used
- Corn – use fresh corn otherwise canned corn kernels will also work
- Lemongrass – lemon zest or lime zest can also be used
- Garlic – use fresh or jarred minced garlic
- Soy sauce – tamari or coconut aminos are great gluten free alternatives to soy sauce.
What can you put in a poke bowl?
A poke bowl is similar to a deconstructed sushi roll. Use sushi rice or leafy greens as the base and then add anything you might find in your favourite sushi rolls as the add ons to this bowl! Alongside the shrimp, toppings like avocado, corn, seaweed salad, nori sheets, and red peppers are really great additions. You can also add in anything else you like such as mango, cucumbers, etc.
Storing and reheating
This recipe is a great meal prep idea if you are planning on making more than one meal prep recipe in a week. These shrimp poke bowls will only stay good in the fridge for up 3 days. Make these quick poke bowls for the first half of the week and eat dinner leftovers the rest of the work week. When you're ready to enjoy your meal prep shrimp poke bowls, then eat right from the fridge as they do not need to be warmed up. Since they don't need to be warmed up, making them is a great option for when you're on-the-go.
More sushi-inspired recipes to try
Meal prep tools
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning these Shrimp Poke Bowls into your weekly lunches.
- You can order sushi rice online
- You can order nori online too
Creamy Sriracha Shrimp Poke Bowls
- 1 lb cooked shrimp
- 1 sheet nori, cut into strips
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 package seaweed salad
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp wonton strips
- 1 cup cooked sushi rice (about 1/2 cup dry - see package for water amount, usually 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
Creamy Sriracha Sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 stalk lemongrass, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Cook sushi rice in a rice cooker or according to package directions. When finished cooking, add sugar and rice vinegar, tossing to coat.
- Mix creamy sriracha sauce together and toss shrimp in it (can be precooked shrimp or defrost frozen raw shrimp and boil in water for 2-3 min). Meanwhile, stir fry corn, soy sauce, garlic and lemongrass over med-high heat for 5-6 min until cooked through.
- Add sushi rice to each bowl, then shrimp and all other toppings. Mix together and enjoy!