These Tandoori Chicken Naan Burgers are a fun 30-minute dinner idea that's perfect for the BBQ and made using a simple, homemade Indian-inspired spice mix!
Ingredients in tandoori chicken burgers
These Indian-inspired chicken burgers are super easy to make, and are a fun way to switch up a summer favourite! Here's what you need on hand:
- chicken cutlets (marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, Greek yogurt, Tandoori spice, garlic, ginger & salt)
- kale, broccoli or cabbage slaw mix
- plum tomatoes
- store bought tzatziki or cucumber raita
- cilantro, for garnish
- Mini naan breads (or 2 pieces naan bread cut in half)
- Homemade tandoori spice mix
Making the tandoori spice mix
You can use a store bought Tandoori spice mix, but it's super easy to make your own! Here's what you need in your spice drawer:
- garam masala
- cayenne pepper
Making these chicken burgers
These Tandoori Chicken Naan Burgers are exactly what you need in your life after a long day – they're packed with flavour and only take about 30 minutes to cook from start to finish, thanks to a little help from some prepared veggies and a spice blend you're going to want to keep on hand at home for more fun Indian-inspired food.
Here's how to make these burgers:
- Preheat BBQ to high heat (450 F). Make the tandoori spice mix, mix up the marinade and then marinate chicken the chicken for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken to the grill and cook for about 5 minutes per side or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Add slaw to each mini naan (or naan half) and top with chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, tzatziki and cilantro. Serve and enjoy!
Chicken – You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of the chicken breast cutlets.
Naan – You can use pitas cut in half if you can't find naan.
Slaw – Lettuce or just plain sliced green cabbage will work here in place of a veggie slaw.
Tzatziki – Mix up some Greek yogurt, lemon juice, cucumber, dill and a pinch of salt to make this dip from scratch.
Making the chicken in the oven or skillet
You can make this recipe in this oven! Marinate the chicken as usual, and bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 10-12 minutes at 450 F or until chicken is cooked through to 165 F in the middle.
Alternatively, you can saute the chicken in a large skillet over med-high heat for about 4-5 minutes each side.
Where to find the mini naan
I found these mini naan buns at my local grocery store so I knew I had to snatch them up for these burgers – how cute are they?! You should be able to find them in the bakery section of your local grocery store. You can also use pitas the same size.
If you can't find any mini naans you can easily cut a piece of naan in two and fold it over each chicken breast, which works just as well.
Storing, reheating and freezing
If you have leftovers, I recommend separating all the components to store separately then assemble fresh. Sprinkle some water overtop of the chicken before reheating to avoid it drying out, then microwave for 1-2 minutes and serve with warm toasted naan and the fresh veggies.
You can also freeze the chicken in the marinade or freeze the cooked chicken for another meal. You can freeze the naan as well. Freeze both components separately then allow to defrost in the fridge overnight before reheating as directed above.
More yummy burger recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Buy some store bought tandoori spice mix to save time
- I get all my free-range chicken from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen
- Get a meat thermometer to make sure your chicken is cooked through
- Freeze any leftover chicken in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months
Chicken Tandoori Naan Burgers
- 4 chicken cutlets
- 1 package kale, broccoli or cabbage slaw mix
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced
- 1 tub tzatziki or cucumber raita
- Cilantro, for garnish
- 4 Mini naan breads (or 2 pieces naan bread cut in half)
Tandoori spice mix
- 2 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp Tandoori spice mix
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat BBQ to high heat (450 F). Marinate chicken by mixing all ingredients together - you can marinate the chicken up to 24 hours in advance and you can make the Tandoori spice mix ahead of time as well.
- Add chicken to the grill and cook for about 5 minutes per side or until chicken is fully cooked. Remove from heat. Add slaw to each mini naan (or naan half) and top with chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, tzatziki and cilantro. Serve and enjoy!