These Indian-Inspired Chicken Naan Burgers are a fun 30-minute dinner idea that you can throw on the BBQ, complete with a homemade spice mix.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Chicken cutlets – boneless skinless chicken thighs can also be used.
- Slaw mix – use kale, broccoli or cabbage slaw mix. Plain lettuce or sliced green cabbage would also work.
- Tomatoes – leave this out if you’re not a fan of tomatoes.
- Cucumber – swap out for another veggie if you don’t like cucumbers.
- Tzatziki – cucumber raita would also work.
- Cilantro – swap this out for parsley or leave it out altogether.
- Mini naan breads – if you can’t find any naan, use pita bread cut in half.
Indian-inspired spice mix
- Turmeric – saffron would be a good substitute here.
- Garam masala – mix together some cumin and allspice for a similar flavour.
- Cumin – coriander is the best substitute for cumin.
- Coriander – add in some extra cumin instead.
- Cayenne – paprika would work too.
- Cinnamon – nutmeg or allspice are the next best options.
- Olive oil – use any neutral cooking oil such as avocado or grapeseed oil.
- Lemon juice – freshly squeezed lemon juice is best but bottled lemon or even lime juice can be used.
- Greek yogurt – you can use a dairy-free yogurt, but the flavour will be different.
- Tandoori spice mix – see substitution notes above.
- Garlic – freshly minced or jarred minced garlic can both be used.
- Ginger – if you don’t have any fresh ginger, use a bit of ground ginger powder instead.
- Salt – to taste.
How to make this recipe
- Marinate the chicken.
- Grill the chicken.
- Prep your toppings.
- Assemble your burgers and enjoy!
Make these burgers in the oven or a skillet
Don’t have a grill? No worries! You can easily make this recipe in the oven or in a skillet.
Marinate the chicken as usual, and bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 10-12 minutes at 450° Fahrenheit or until chicken is cooked through to 165° Fahrenheit in the middle.
Alternatively, you can sauté the chicken in a large skillet over med-high heat for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can add whatever toppings to your chicken burger you want! I like topping these Indian-inspired chicken burgers with coleslaw mix, tomatoes, cucumber, tzatziki and cilantro, but feel free to mix things up and play around with the toppings.
This recipe has 472 calories per serving.
You can use a store-bought spice mix, but it's super easy to make your own! Just mix together some turmeric, garam masala, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper and cinnamon. Easy-peasy!
Storing and reheating
If you have leftovers, I recommend separating all the components to store separately then assembling them fresh. All the components should last in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To reheat, sprinkle some water over top of the chicken to keep it from drying out, then microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. Serve with warm toasted naan and fresh veggies and dig in!
Freezing this recipe
You can freeze the chicken raw in the marinade or cooked for up to 3 months in airtight glass containers or Ziploc bags. You can freeze the naan too! Freeze both components separately then allow to defrost in the fridge overnight before reheating as directed above.
Want to Learn How to Meal Prep? Join Dinner Prep Pro!
Our meal planning service removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night thanks to our prep ahead checklists. It takes just one hour of ingredient prep on a Sunday!
More yummy burger recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Buy some store bought tandoori spice mix to save time.
- I get all my free-range chicken from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
- Get a meat thermometer to make sure your chicken is cooked through.
- Freeze any leftover chicken in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months.
Indian-Inspired Chicken Naan Burgers
- 4 chicken cutlets
- 1 package kale, broccoli or cabbage slaw mix
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced
- 1 tub tzatziki or cucumber raita
- Cilantro, for garnish
- 4 Mini naan breads (or 2 pieces naan bread cut in half)
Indian-inspired spice mix
- 2 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp Tandoori spice mix
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat BBQ to high heat (450 F). Marinate chicken by mixing all ingredients together – you can marinate the chicken up to 24 hours in advance and you can make the Indian-inspired spice mix ahead of time as well.
- Add chicken to the grill and cook for about 5 minutes per side or until chicken is fully cooked. Remove from heat. Add slaw to each mini naan (or naan half) and top with chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, tzatziki and cilantro. Serve and enjoy!