Caribbean BBQ Tofu Vegetable Bowl
This colourful BBQ Tofu bowl is full of exotic flavours and jerk spice, with a distinctly Caribbean flair and topped with sliced avocado.
One of my favourite restaurants in Toronto is a small Caribbean joint at Bathurst and Bloor called One Love Vegetarian with an all-vegan menu. Serving up delicious corn soup (that has been featured on the Food Network!) amongst giant chickpea roti wraps and meatless vegetable bowls, everything is absolutely bursting with flavour and a must try.
I fell in love with their BBQ Tofu bowl and had to try to replicate the flavours at home. Though Caribbean flavours aren't necessarily my specialty, I did some research and came up with a tasty marinade that is a close second to the one at One Love. With jerk-inspired flavours and sweet, smokey BBQ undertones, you'll definitely be wanting to make this unique dish again!
Though this recipe is vegetarian and uses tofu, you can easily substitute chicken or beef if you're turned off by tofu. The strong flavour profiles of each spice are overpowering enough to conquer anyone's fear of bland tofu, but they remain subtle enough to take on a protein. Allspice and nutmeg in particular are the secret ingredients that make the marinade shine, as well as liquifying the sweet onion.
Every once in a while, it's nice to use meat alternatives because they are cheaper and full of protein. You may not think that tofu can taste good, but when marinated correctly and for long enough, it can actually be quite delicious!
Plantains are for the most part readily available at many grocery stores, and should be eaten when overly ripe. Wait until they are a darker yellow with a bit of brown on them – think of them like a banana. When green, they are too starchy and not ready to eat. Even when yellow, they may be a bit too firm. Waiting until they are a tiny bit bruised looking ensures a proper cook and a beautiful sweetness.
Try out this BBQ Tofu bowl this weekend – I promise you won't be disappointed!
Carribean BBQ Tofu Vegetable Bowl
- 1 Package firm tofu
- 1/2 red pepper yellow pepper and green pepper, sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 cup small button mushrooms whole
- 1 plantain slightly overripe and sliced
- 1 avocados sliced
- 1/2 large sweet onion aka vidalia onion
- 2 tsp BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece gingeroot
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 jalapeño seeded
- 1 avocado
- Black or pinto beans
- coconut milk
- 1 tsp butter
- Mix together ingredients for jerk-BBQ sauce in a Magic Bullet or blender. Pat tofu dry with paper towel squeezing out all excess liquid.
- Cut into 1/2 inch thick strips and place in plastic bag with marinade, and let sit for 30 min-1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cook brown rice according to instructions with butter and water, but sub half of water for coconut milk. Once finished cooking, add black beans.
- Heat olive oil on high and sear tofu equally on all sides, working to flip each to create a constant sear on each. Fry for about 10 minutes.
- Prepare vegetables and plantain and stir fry on high for 5-10 minutes.