These Samoa Caramel Apple Nachos are a healthier snack or dessert idea made with caramel, chocolate sauce and toasted coconut.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Apples – I used honey crisp apples, but any variety like empire or granny smith would also work well here.
- Shredded coconut – feel free to use sweetened coconut if that's what you have on hand.
- Caramel sauce – make your own or your favourite store-bought caramel sauce.
- Chocolate chips – use any variety of chocolate chips or melting chocolate that you prefer. You can also omit the bottom two ingredients and use a store-bought chocolate sauce instead of making your own.
- Cream – substitute milk, water or butter to melt the chocolate chips.
- Peanut pieces – swap out for another kind of nut or leave these off altogether.
Skip the Ads and Get Right to the Recipes!
- ZERO ADS on over 600 recipes!
- Weekly Meal Plans, Grocery & Prep Lists
- Bonus eBooks
How to make apple nachos
- Toast the coconut.
- Make the chocolate syrup.
- Microwave the caramel sauce.
- Slice the apples.
- Add on the toppings, serve and enjoy!
More topping ideas
These apple nachos are flavoured to taste like the popular Girl Scout Cookies: Samoas! Girl Scout Samoa cookies are packed with the rich flavours of chocolate, caramel and toasted coconut. I've included toppings in this recipe that reflect the popular cookie but you can customize these nachos as you please.
For additional topping ideas, try these:
- Crushed peanuts
- Toffee bits
- Crushed pretzels
- White chocolate drizzle
- Powdered sugar
- Cinnamon sugar
Frequently Asked Questions
For this recipe, all you have to do is warm the caramel up in the microwave until 30 seconds, add it to a bag and drizzle over top of the apples. Since you’re serving them on a plate, you don’t need to worry too much about the caramel sticking to the apples.
This is definitely a healthier dessert option, but it’s still indulgent thanks to the caramel and chocolate syrup. That being said, it’s a way healthier option than most desserts!
This recipe has 197 calories per serving, which isn’t bad at all for such a yummy dessert.
Storing the leftovers
This recipe is best enjoyed fresh, but if you have any leftovers, you can store them in the fridge for up to 3 days. To make sure they don't brown, sprinkle the apples with lemon juice. When ready to enjoy, simply take them out of the fridge and enjoy!
If you’re making your own caramel syrup, it can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
More dessert recipes
- Stuffed Caramel Apples with Chocolate Drizzle
- Healthier Edible Cookie Dough
- Chocolate Fat Bombs (Nut Free)
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Order some dulce de leche for true caramel taste.
- An apple corer will get you more even apple slices, perfect for snacking!
Samoa Caramel Apple Nachos
- 2 apples, sliced (I used honeycrisp but empire or granny smith would also work well here)
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp caramel sauce (I used dulce de leche but you can always just use the kind you see in the ice cream isle)
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp cream/milk/water/butter (for melting chocolate chips; use whatever you have on hand)
- 1 tbsp peanut pieces
- In a medium-sized frying pan, heat coconut over med-high heat until just browned and toasted, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat right away and transfer to a bowl then set aside.
- Melt chocolate chips with cream, milk, water or butter in microwave for 1-2 minutes, stirring halfway through. Add to plastic bag. Microwave dulce de leche if using for 30 seconds until just warm and add to another plastic bag. Cut small holes at the bottoms of each bag.
- Slice and core apples, spreading half on a large plate. Sprinkle toasted coconut over apples, then drizzle chocolate and dulce de leche overtop. Add peanuts. Add remaining apple slices, then repeat process. Serve and enjoy right away!
Join The Girl on Bloor Premium!
- ZERO ADS!
- Weekly Meal Prep Checklists
- Bonus eBooks