This homemade ranch seasoning can be made with or without buttermilk powder. Use it for dips, chicken, casseroles and more.
What is ranch seasoning made of?
- garlic powder – you can use extra onion powder instead
- onion powder – you can use extra garlic powder instead
- dried dill – you can use extra dried parsley instead
- dried parsley – you can use extra dried dill instead
- black pepper – there's no good substitute for this, you do need it
- buttermilk powder – there's no good substitute for this, but you can leave it out and add sour cream/lemon juice or fresh buttermilk to get that ranch flavour when cooking
Easiest Ranch Seasoning
- 1 tbsp buttermilk powder optional – find in bulk stores or on Amazon
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried dill
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl then funnel into a spice jar if desired. We have linked to the ones we use above this recipe card.
- Add sticker label to your jar if desired. Download our free template and purchase sticker printer paper above the recipe card.
Frequently asked questions
Most of the spices in this ranch seasoning recipe should be ingredients you have in your spice drawer. See the substitutions listed before the recipe card to see what you can leave out or swap.
Basically yes, but making your own homemade ranch seasoning ensures you avoid the chemicals and sodium in most packaged dip mixes.
Buttermilk powder is the main flavoring in ranch seasoning. Don't worry, if you don't have any at home, you can leave it out of this seasoning recipe and just mix it with buttermilk or sour cream and lemon juice to get that distinctive ranch flavour.