This Easy One Pot Cheeseburger Soup is filled with ground beef, potatoes, cheese and veggies for a hearty take on the classic burger.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Extra-lean ground beef – use ground chicken or turkey instead of ground beef.
- Yellow onion – red onion, white onion or Spanish onion will also work.
- Celery – use carrots or another vegetable of your choice or leave this out altogether.
- Russet potato – this mealy potato will soak up lots of flavour from the broth, but you can also try using white potatoes.
- Garlic – freshly minced or jarred minced garlic can both be used. In a pinch, use garlic powder.
- Dijon mustard – honey mustard or brown mustard would also work but may alter the flavour.
- Worcestershire sauce – soy sauce with ketchup or hoisin sauce can be use to replace the Worcestershire sauce.
- Thyme – oregano, marjoram, basil or Italian seasoning would also be good.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
- Diced tomatoes – fresh tomatoes or crushed tomatoes can be used in place of diced tomatoes.
- Beef broth – vegetable broth or chicken broth are the best substitutes here.
- Frozen veggies – use any blend that appeals to you.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – any shredded cheese blend that you like can be used in place of cheddar cheese. Feel free to add in some sour cream as well.
How to make cheeseburger soup
Step 1: Sauté the ground beef.
Saute ground beef in a large pot or Dutch oven over med-high heat, cooking until browned.
Step 2: Add the rest of the ingredients.
Add onions and celery, sauteing for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add in potatoes, garlic, mustard, Worcestershire, thyme and salt & pepper, stirring until combined.
Step 3: Simmer for 25 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes and beef broth, bringing to a boil then simmering for 25 minutes.
Step 4: Stir in the veggies.
Add frozen vegetables, then cook another 5 minutes.
Step 5: Add in the cheese.
Remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
Step 6: Serve and enjoy!
Crockpot + Instant Pot instructions
This soup is so versatile – instead of making it on the stovetop, you also have the option to make it in your crockpot or in the Instant Pot.
Brown your meat before dumping it along with the rest of the ingredients into the crockpot. You can even cook the ground beef up to 4 days before making your soup! Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours. That’s all there is too it! Easy-peasy.
Brown the ground beef in the Instant Pot using the sauté feature. Add the rest of the ingredients into the pot then cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. When the cooking time is up, do a natural pressure release for at least 10 minutes. Add the cheese just before serving and dig in.
Frequently Asked Questions
This cheeseburger soup is made with pretty much everything you’d find in your favourite cheeseburger. It’s made of extra-lean ground beef, onion, celery, potato, seasonings like Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce, diced tomatoes, beef broth and frozen veggies. And of course, you can’t forget the cheddar cheese on top!
One serving of this soup has 17 grams of carbs.
To make this cheeseburger soup super flavourful, I used garlic, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt and pepper.
I automatically think of serving bread with soup and cheesy bread would be a great addition to this soup. It tastes great and reminds me of the missing bun for the cheeseburger! If you want something lighter, you can try serving your soup with salad, steamed broccoli or roasted carrots.
Storing and reheating
You can store the fully cooked soup in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
When you’re ready to enjoy your soup, reheat it in the microwave for 2 or reheat it in a saucepan on the stovetop for 5 minutes. Add some extra shredded cheese on top for extra flavour!
This recipe is also great for meal prep. It makes six servings so you can divide the soup into single serving containers. It’s makes for a great warm lunch on a cold winter day!
Can you freeze cheeseburger soup?
You can freeze this cheeseburger soup recipe for up to 3 months. I recommend storing individual servings in glass bowls with lids for easy reheating as this soup is the perfect last-minute lunch or dinner idea.
Thaw the soup in the refrigerator the night before you want to eat it, or reheat your individual portion directly from frozen in the microwave for 6 to 7 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning this soup into your weekly lunches.
- I get all my grass-fed ground beef from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months.
Easy One Pot Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 russet potato, diced in 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 1 (796mL) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups frozen veggies
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Saute ground beef in a large pot or Dutch oven over med-high heat, cooking until browned. Add onions and celery, sauteing for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add in potatoes, garlic, mustard, Worcestershire, thyme and salt & pepper, stirring until combined. Add diced tomatoes and beef broth, bringing to a boil then simmering for 25 minutes.
- Add frozen vegetables, then cook another 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cheese, then stir and enjoy!
Instant Pot instructions
- Turn Instant Pot to saute mode then brown the ground beef. After browning, put all the other ingredients besides cheese in the Instant Pot and set to cook on high pressure for five minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally (10-20 minutes). Remove lid, stir in cheese, then serve and enjoy!
Slow cooker instructions
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet on the stove before putting it in the crock pot. Add all the other ingredients (besides cheese) to the crock pot and cook for four hours on high or six hours on low. Stir in cheese at the end.