These Low Carb Stuffed Poblano Peppers are a healthy dinner stuffed with ground beef, red peppers, onions, cheddar cheese and cilantro!
How to make this recipe
Wash and de-seed poblano peppers. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and bake in oven.
Cook ground beef over med-high heat until browned and drain any excess fat.
Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, garlic, red pepper and red onion, sauteeing another 2 minutes until veggies are tender.
Stuff ground beef mixture into poblano peppers and top with cheese. Bake again until cheese is melted.
Remove from oven and add toppings of choice. Serve and enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – use any neutral oil such as avocado oil, sunflower oil or vegetable oil for this recipe.
- Poblano peppers – jalapeño peppers are a great alternative to poblano peppers if you’d like more of a heat to your dish! Any variety of bell peppers will also work for this recipe.
- Ground beef – for a leaner option, use ground turkey or chicken in place of ground beef.
- Garlic – fresh or jarred minced garlic can be used in this recipe.
- Chili powder – double up on the paprika, use a taco seasoning or cayenne to replace the chili powder.
- Cumin – curry powder, garam masala, or taco seasoning can be used in place of cumin.
- Paprika – double up on the chili powder or use cayenne pepper or chili flakes to replace paprika.
- Red pepper – substitute red pepper with any other bell pepper of your choice.
- Red onion – yellow or white onion can be used in place of red onion.
- Cheddar cheese – use any variety of shredded cheese that you prefer.
- Pico de gallo – homemade or jarred pico de gallo, salsa can also be used.
- Avocado – use sliced avocado or a fresh guacamole in place of avocado.
- Cilantro – if you’re not a fan of cilantro, parsley is also a great option.
- Sour cream – use greek yogurt in place of sour cream for a healthier option.
Storing and reheating
Stuffed peppers are a great meal prep recipe! You will want to assemble the peppers the day before (without any toppings) and keep them in the fridge before their final bake. Bake the peppers for 10 minutes and then add your toppings fresh. You can also reheat them in the microwave until they are fully warmed.
Any leftovers stored in the fridge should be used within 5 days.
Freezing the leftovers
You can definitely freeze these delicious stuffed peppers! Even though you can freeze them, the texture won't be identical after reheating.
To freeze these peppers, allow them to cool to room temperature and then freeze the fully cooked peppers in an airtight, freezer-safe storage container.
When you're ready to enjoy your leftovers, thaw them in the fridge overnight. Once they've thawed, uncover and bake in the oven at 375° F. for 30 minutes or until cooked.
More stuffed pepper recipes
- Quinoa and turkey stuffed mini bell peppers
- Low carb lasagna stuffed peppers
- Philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers
Meal prep tools
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning these Low Carb Stuffed Poblano Peppers into your weekly lunches.
- I get all my free-range chicken and grass-fed beef from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months
Low Carb Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 poblano peppers
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Store-bought pico de gallo or salsa
- Sliced avocado
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Wash and de-seed poblano peppers, then drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper if desired. Add to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook ground beef ove med-high heat until browned (about 5-7 min) then drain any excess fat. Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, garlic, red pepper and red onion, sauteeing another 2 minutes until veggies are tender.
- Stuff ground beef mixture into poblano peppers, then top with cheese. Bake another 10 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and top with toppings of choice. Serve and enjoy!