These healthy homemade instant noodles are an easy and delicious vegetarian lunch idea! Prep them in mason jars then just add water!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Miso paste – add in some extra soy sauce if you don’t have any miso paste.
- Soy sauce – coconut aminos or tamari are the best soy sauce substitutes.
- Chili garlic sauce – sriracha, Sambal Oelek or chili paste would all help add some spice.
- Shelled edamame – snap peas, green peas or fava beans would be good too.
- Carrot – try adding in some shredded cucumber or diced celery instead.
- Red pepper – use any colour bell pepper of your choice.
- Red cabbage – napa cabbage or bok choy would also be yummy in these noodles.
- Green onions – diced red or white onion can be used instead.
- Cilantro – or another fresh herb like parsley or Thai basil.
- Vegetable bouillon cubes – chicken bouillon cubes would also work here.
- Ramen noodles – you can try using gluten-free ramen noodles as well.
How to make instant noodles
Step 1: Add seasonings and veggies to a mason jar.
Add 1 tbsp each miso paste and soy sauce along with 1/2 tbsp chili garlic sauce to the bottom of each 1 L mason jar, then add 1/2 cup edamame to each jar and divide veggies evenly among jars.
Step 2: Top with noodles.
Top with 1/2 a bouillon cube, then half of each ramen noodle packet.
Step 3: Add boiling water.
Store in the fridge up to 6 days. When ready to serve, add boiling water overtop, filling almost to the top of the jar and let sit for 5 minutes.
Step 4: Dump into a bowl and dig in!
Stir everything together, then pour into a bowl and serve and enjoy. If you'd like them a little hotter, microwave for 1-2 minutes after pouring in boiling water.
More flavour options
Looking for more flavour options for your Instant Noodles? You can mix and match with different seasonings and add-ins until you find a combination you love. Here are some more ideas on what you can add:
- Fresh garlic
- Minced ginger
- Hoisin sauce
- Hard or soft-boiled egg (add on right before serving)
- Shredded chicken
- Extra-firm tofu
Frequently Asked Questions
These instant noodles are a healthier version of your favourite ramen – and they taste so much better! Since you’re using fresh veggies and seasonings in place of the unhealthy seasoning packet that usually comes with ramen noodles, you’re cutting down significantly on the amount of sodium and preservatives.
These instant noodles can be made as spicy or as mild as you like. Just adjust the amount of chili garlic sauce depending on your spice comfort level. If you love spice, you can even add in some sriracha!
This instant noodles recipe has 354 calories per serving.
Storing and reheating
These instant noodles are perfect for meal prep. Assemble your mason jars ahead of time and store them in the fridge for up to 6 days. When you’re ready to enjoy, all you have to do is pull the jar out of the fridge, add in the boiling water, let it sit then dig in!
Freezing this recipe
If you want to freeze these instant noodles, I’d recommend freezing them along with the water. Make the noodles as you normally would by adding in the boiling water and letting the noodles sit. Once the noodles have cooled, pop the mason jar in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat your instant noodles, you can reheat the mason jar right from frozen for 6 to 7 minutes in the microwave, or let the noodles defrost in the fridge overnight before reheating for 2 to 3 minutes.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
The Best DIY Instant Noodles
- 4 tbsp miso paste
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 2 cups shelled edamame
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 cup red cabbage thinly sliced
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro or other fresh herbs of choice
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes cut in half
- 2 (85 g) packages ramen noodles seasoning packets discarded
- Add 1 tbsp each miso paste and soy sauce along with 1/2 tbsp chili garlic sauce to the bottom of each 1 L mason jar, then add 1/2 cup edamame to each jar and divide veggies evenly among jars.
- Top with 1/2 a bouillon cube, then half of each ramen noodle packet.
- Store in the fridge up to 6 days. When ready to serve, add boiling water overtop, filling almost to the top of the jar and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir everything together, then pour into a bowl and serve and enjoy. If you'd like them a little hotter, microwave for 1-2 minutes after pouring in boiling water.