With warm weather around the corner, and fun drinks to make to celebrate summer, it's even more exciting to make fancy flavoured ice cubes to elevate your glass! These DIY ice cubes are surprisingly easy to make, and make for a great Instagram moment! Here are just some of the ideas we have that you can make using ordinary ingredients from your fridge:
Fresh Herbs: Mint, basil, sage, rosemary, parsley and cilantro all add a fresh pop of subtle flavour.
Fresh or Frozen Fruit: Either crush up and puree a fruit of your choice (watermelon, raspberries, pineapple etc.), mix with water, lemonade, or some other sort of mild fruit juice, and freeze.
Freeze your Leftover Coffee: Keep your iced coffee from getting watered down by serving it with coffee ice cubes! Add milk to make latte ice cubes.
Edible Flowers: You can pop these gorgeous frozen cubes into just about any drink. Edible flowers are usually a bright purple and available at select grocery stores, and make for a great photo opportunity.
Hot Peppers: Hot peppers might seem like an unusual addition to a drink, but if you're a fan of spice, they can bring a unique flavour to a fruity summer cocktail.
I made my ice cubes with a delicious combination of fresh herbs, frozen and fresh fruit, and hot peppers. I tried to combine flavours that naturally complement each other, like cucumber and mint, but also include fun combinations like peach and chili pepper for you to try out to give your drink a kick!
Be sure to use either purified or bottled water when making these ice cubes, keeping in mind that purified water will cause the cubes to come out clearer in the end.
DIY Flavoured Ice Cubes
- 4 cups purified/bottled water
- 1/2 grapefruit
- 1 jalapeño pepper sliced
- 2-3 cubes frozen pineapple
- 3-4 cubes fresh coconut
- 1-2 peach slices
- 1 red chili pepper sliced
- 1/8 cucumber sliced
- 3-4 mint leaves
- 1/2 lime sliced
- 1/4 orange sliced
- 1/2 kiwi peeled and cubed
- 2 frozen strawberries
- Cut fruit into small enough pieces to fit into an ice cube mould.
- Boil purified water in a large saucepan and remove from heat. Pour into ice cube moulds until halfway filled.
- Add the following flavour combos: grapefruit and jalapeño, pineapple and coconut, peach and chili pepper, cucumber and mint, strawberry and kiwi, and lime and orange.
- Freeze for one hour, then fill water in ice cube moulds to the top and freeze for as long as necessary.
- Enjoy in your favourite cocktails!