One Pot Butternut Squash Chicken Curry
This One Pot Butternut Squash Chicken Curry with coconut milk & chickpeas is a protein-filled, heartwarming fall meal that comes together in under 40 minutes!
Say hello to one of the most versatile fall meals ever!
This One Pot Butternut Squash Chicken Curry can easily be made vegetarian/vegan by leaving out the chicken and using vegetable stock, and you could even whip up this baby in a the slow cooker – I've given alternative directions for slow cooker below so you can leave this on while you're at work all day and come home to a heart-warming meal.
Gordon Ramsey recently said a good curry was one of his absolute favourite meals, and I think the guy's onto something. Seriously guys, you just can't beat a delicious, heartwarming meal that comes together in under an hour in one pot.
And this One Pot Butternut Squash Chicken Curry is super freezer-friendly too, hence why it makes so many servings. Whip up a batch, eat a couple servings for lunch and dinner during the work week, then freeze the rest so you have dinner on hand when you've just got too much going on and you don't have time to cook or even grab takeout.
I don't know about you but if I don't have time to cook, I absolutely don't have time to wait for delivery or run out and grab something to eat. If I'm really in that much of a rush, I want something I can microwave in 5-10 minutes tops, and that's where I LOVE having dinners like this One Pot Butternut Squash Chicken Curry in the freezer. One of my secret weapons for the work week for sure!
There's a few tips & tricks to getting this One Pot Butternut Squash Chicken Curry right but other than that it's a pretty simple idea: take all the veggies from your fridge (including seasonal butternut squash but other varieties work too!) and add 'em here with some coconut milk, stock, chickpeas and fresh herbs like cilantro (or you could use basil).
Basmati or jasmine rice are two optional add-ons and make this meal all the more filling but you honestly don't need them. This curry is thick, delicious and can be eaten on its own in a large bowl. The chickpeas and chicken have more than enough protein and make this meal lower carb if you eat it on its own like I do.
I seriously don't use my slow cooker enough. In fact, two of my favourite-ever recipes on the blog (African Peanut Stew and Butternut Squash Lentil Dal to be exact) are made in the slow cooker, and I really should take advantage of this handy kitchen appliance more often.
Apparently I only know how to cook curries or stews in it so far but I'm working on a fall vegetarian chili recipe that I'll be publishing soon so keep an eye out for some more ways to use your slow cookers and crock pots this season!
I for one personally can't wait for blanket and Netflix season – we've been getting this crazy hot weather here in Toronto which is kinda nice because with the stress of my move I feel like I just missed out on a lot of summer. I think anytime you have a demanding job you spend so much time indoors with the AC blasting that the few select weekends where the weather is good never seems to be enough. So, I'm going to attempt to be grateful for this last little bit of summer and sunshine before we start experiencing all that fall has to offer.
But, like I said, I'm ready for big bowls of soup and curry for the next few months. And a pumpkin spice latte or two. Bring it on fall! Bring it on.
Will you be making this One Pot Butternut Squash Chicken Curry?
I think my whole fall season is just going to be filled with lots of one pot dinner recipes – let's just hope the weather cooperates! Bring on all things butternut squash and pumpkin spice!!!
Grab some Glass meal prep bowls if you plan on packing this up for lunch!
And of course I get all my free-range chicken breasts from Butcher Box!
Stock up on coconut milk here!
One Pot Butternut Squash Chicken Curry
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 small butternut squash, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 2-3 cups cooked basmati rice (for serving, optional)
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over med-high heat in a large, deep pot. Add chicken and saute until browned, about 5-6 min. Remove from heat. Add remaining tbsp of olive oil, squash, carrots, garlic and ginger cooking for 4-5 min until veggies start to get tender.
- Add stock, coconut milk, curry powder, turmeric and salt, bringing to a boil and then let simmer for 15 minutes. Add chicken back in, along with chickpeas and red pepper and cook another 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in spinach and serve in large bowls alongside basmati rice. Garnish with cilantro and serve!
- ALTERNATIVE SLOW COOKER METHOD: Dump all ingredients in the slow cooker except chickpeas, spinach, cilantro and rice and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Add chickpeas in 1 hour before serving. Stir in spinach right before serving, and serve with rice, topping with cilantro.