This Instant Pot Pizza Quinoa Casserole is a gluten-free pizza bowl that all comes together in one pot and in less than 30 minutes!
How to make this recipe
Add chicken broth, mushrooms and quinoa to Instant Pot, making sure to add quinoa last. Pressure cook on high for 2 minutes.
Remove the lid and add pizza sauce, green pepper and red onion, then stir. Let the veggies softne then remove lid and add in pepperoni, and stir.
Divide mixture into servings, top with cheese, and microwave for 2 minutes to melt cheese. Serve and enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Chicken broth – veggie broth or beef broth will both work as an alternative.
- Mushrooms – if you don't have mushrooms on hand or just don't like them feel free to replace with a vegetable you love or just leave the mushrooms out.
- Dried quinoa – a great substitute for quinoa is couscous. Just note that if you use couscous that the nutritional facts will vary.
- Pizza sauce – tomato sauce with added spices like oregano, garlic powder and Italian seasoning is an alternative if you don't have pizza sauce.
- Turkey pepperoni – turkey pepperoni is a leaner meat, but feel free to use any other variant of pepperoni.
- Green bell pepper – any other bell pepper colour will work in place of green. If you're not a fan of bell peppers, feel free to replace with another vegetable of your choice or leave out entirely.
- Red onion – white onion, shallots or yellow onion can also be used in this recipe.
- Mozzarella cheese – mozzarella cheese will be the best option for this recipe but feel free to replace this with any other grated cheese of your choice.
- Basil (to garnish)
- Red chilli flakes (to garnish)
Storing and reheating
To store your pizza quinoa casserole, you will want to portion your meals out by serving and refrigerate without the melted cheese on top. Store each serving in an airtight container and keep in the microwave for up to 4 days.
It's important to store in the fridge without the melted cheese as it will last longer in the fridge without it. Leftovers that have the melted grated cheese on top will only last 1-2 days so, you're extending the shelf life of the leftovers and breathing some new life back into them.
When you're ready to enjoy your dish, take the serving out of the fridge, sprinkle your fresh, grated cheese on top and then microwave it for 1-2 minutes until warmed.
Freezing this recipe
This dish is freezer friendly! You can freeze the entire casserole in one freezer friendly container or in individual servings for easy access as a last minute freezer meal. Your dish will last in the freezer for 1-2 months.
More casserole dinners
Meal Prep tools
- The Instant Pot DUO Plus 60 is the version I use in this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on packing this dish up for lunch
Instant Pot Pizza Quinoa Casserole
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup dried quinoa
- 2 cups Pizza Sauce
- 1 package turkey pepperoni
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Basil and red chili flakes to top (optional)
- Add chicken broth, mushrooms and quinoa to Instant Pot, making sure to add quinoa last. Set to manual and pressure cook on high for 2 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to pre-heat and then the 2 minutes to cook. When complete, press cancel and do a quick release of the steam, waiting until the pressure gauge drops back down and the lid is safe to open.
- Remove lid and add pizza sauce, green pepper and red onion, then stir. Replace lid, then let sit 5 minutes to soften veggies. Remove lid and add in pepperoni, then stir.
- Divide mixture among 6 bowls (or however many bowls you need at time of serving), then top with cheese, and microwave for 2 minutes to melt cheese. Serve and enjoy!
- Note: Melted cheese is not ideal to store as leftovers, so store any remaining pizza quinoa mixture without cheese in the fridge. When ready to serve leftovers, add to a bowl and microwave 2 minutes, stir, then top with cheese and microwave another 1 minute before serving.