This is the Best Baked Oatmeal Recipe! It’s really healthy and the perfect meal prep breakfast – don’t forget to add fresh berries on top!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Rolled oats – you can use steel cut oats but they’ll take longer to cook, whereas instant or quick oats won’t take as long to cook.
- Cinnamon – change up the flavour by trying pumpkin pie spice, brown sugar, ginger or cayenne instead of cinnamon.
- Baking powder – unfortunately, there’s no good replacement for baking powder.
- Salt – to taste.
- Mashed banana – applesauce is the best substitute here.
- Coconut oil – or a neutral cooking oil like olive oil.
- Milk – feel free to use a dairy-free milk of your choice.
- Eggs – you can use a flax egg to make this recipe vegan.
- Maple syrup – brown sugar is a good substitute here.
- Vanilla – almond extract would also be good.
- Fresh or frozen berries – top off your oatmeal with any berries or fresh fruit of your choice.
How to make baked oatmeal
Step 1: Mix together the dry ingredients.
Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, mix together rolled oats, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
Step 2: Fold in the wet ingredients.
In another large bowl, mix together mashed banana, coconut oil, milk, eggs, maple syrup and vanilla. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
Step 3: Spray the baking dish.
Spray 9×11 baking dish with non-stick spray.
Step 4: Add the oatmeal mixture.
Add oatmeal mixture.
Step 5: Bake in the oven.
Bake in oven for 45 minutes.
Step 6: Top with berries and dig in!
Top with berries and extra maple syrup and serve!
Is baked oatmeal healthy?
Oatmeal is a fantastic breakfast food to add to your diet. It’s a whole grain that is naturally gluten free. Plus, it’s full of amazing nutrients including:
- B vitamins
While oatmeal is fairly high in carbs, it balances this out by also containing a high amount of protein, fibre and antioxidants. It is relatively low in calories and fat and will keep you feeling full for a long time.
The oatmeal itself is a very healthy choice. Just keep in mind that the toppings on your baked oatmeal may change the nutritional content. You can skip the fruit if it is too high in sugar for you or add nut butters for more protein and fat.
Instead of brown sugar, which is usually found in oatmeal, I use maple syrup as a natural sweetener. You could also use other natural sweeteners like honey or date sugar.
Frequently Asked Questions
While baked oatmeal contains oats, it’s not the same as baked oats, which is a popular TikTok recipe that resembles cake. This recipe is more of a breakfast food with an oatmeal texture!
If you’re serving this baked oatmeal as part of a holiday brunch, it would go great with other dishes like yogurt, eggs, bacon, sausage or fresh fruit.
This recipe has 345 calories per serving. In addition to being fairly low in calories, it’s also packed with protein and nutrients, so it’s a great way to start your day.
Yes! For this recipe, you’ll cook the baked oatmeal for 45 minutes at 350° Fahrenheit.
Storing and reheating
Baked oatmeal lasts in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. That means you can prepare this dish in advance for a meal or work it into your meal prep routine. Divide it into individual sized portions so you have a quick and healthy breakfast ready to go in the fridge.
Reheat individual portions in the microwave for 1 minute or reheat the entire dish in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes at 350° Fahrenheit.
Can you freeze baked oatmeal?
This baked oatmeal recipe also works beautifully as a freezer meal. You can freeze baked oatmeal all together or divide it into individual portions. It will last in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Reheat the baked oatmeal from frozen in the microwave for 5 to 6 minutes. Add a little milk or water as you reheat it to keep it moist. Finish it off with your favourite toppings and enjoy!
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls for meal prepping this recipe.
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months.
The Best Baked Oatmeal Recipe
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 mashed banana
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup fresh or frozen berries, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, mix together rolled oats, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- In another large bowl, mix together mashed banana, coconut oil, milk, eggs, maple syrup and vanilla. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Spray 9×11 baking dish with non-stick spray. Add oatmeal mixture. Bake in oven for 45 minutes, then top with berries and extra maple syrup. Leftovers will keep in the fridge up to 5 days.