This Healthy One Pot Beef Stroganoff is a delicious 30-minute dinner idea that is also freezer-friendly. Packed with veggies, this lightened-up stroganoff is perfect for busy weeknights!
Move on over Hamburger Helper, we've got a new favourite one pot dinner in town: Healthy One Pot Beef Stroganoff!
Honestly, I don't even know why Hamburger Helper became such a thing back in the day. While I can definitely be a sucker for all things processed food (I'm known to eat a whole box of Kraft Mac n Cheese to myself every once in a while…), I just don't even understand what the convenience factor was behind it.
Like isn't that the point of most boxed/frozen food? The fact that it's super easy and basically takes zero time to prep dinner on a busy weeknight?
If you're looking to get serious about meal prepping and make more delicious recipes like these, you HAVE to sign up for my free 5-day challenge below!
To me, having to cook a whole pound of ground beef in addition to potentially throwing in extra veggies on top of a boxed dinner actually seems like a lot more work than is necessary. You're honestly better off cutting out the middleman and using simpler, less processed ingredients like beef broth, red wine and sour cream.
Because really, those three ingredients are the secret to this Healthy One Pot Beef Stroganoff. Aka, there is no secret to cooking from scratch. And yes I know these are kind of “indulgent” ingredients but a tiny bit goes a long way, and I can guarantee you it's a lot better than using a dried, packaged sauce mix.
The thought of boxed dinners is also funny to me because I'm really not the average person when it comes to weeknight cooking.
Every day of my life I'm determined to have a delicious, mind-blowing dinner with enough leftovers for the next day (or week). It's true that I don't like making my lunches, so because I'm mostly living on my own it's easy to just make a giant serving of dinner and eat the leftovers for lunch the next day. I love making giant slow cooker chili and stews for that reason. It's such a genius way of meal prepping when you think about it. Cook once, eat twice (or three times even!)
It's so hard to make anything that is just single serving anyway because you always end up overestimating how much you need of something and it's easy to chop up a whole red pepper for one meal without even thinking about it.
I figure you're always bound to have leftovers or more than one serving of something no matter what, and it's definitely more efficient to cook this way whether you're cooking for just yourself or others.
So as I was saying, me being the crazy person that I am, every meal has to be gourmet and fancy. That's just the way it is.
And let me tell you that this Healthy One Pot Beef Stroganoff does not disappoint, especially if like me you've had a long ass week and you just wanna kick back with a glass of wine and watch Scandal. Yes, I'm super sad it's ending this year in case you were wondering 🙁
With fall starting, you're bound to feel less motivated to cook and take care of yourself and that means dinners have to be beyond easy, and take no time, and give you meals and meals for days.
And it helps, this Healthy One Pot Beef Stroganoff is freezer-friendly too. Freeze in little foil containers you can find at the dollar store to make healthy “TV dinners” – take em out of the freezer about an hour before you wanna eat and heat them up in the oven for about 45 min to an hour while you kick back and relax.
Can't you just feel the heat of the oven and the aroma of comfort food filling the house while you're bundled up watching your fave shows after work? Now THAT'S worth the time it makes to put together this one pot meal.
Will you be making this Healthy One Pot Beef Stroganoff?
I swear this stuff is way better than any of that boxed stuff and it's a super easy way to get a ton of veggies in all at once – no side salad even required so say goodbye to a ton of dirty dishes and lots of clean up with this recipe!
Grab some Glass meal prep bowls if you plan on packing this up for lunch!
And of course I get all my grass-fed beef from Butcher Box!
One Pot Healthy Beef Stroganoff
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions or shallots, diced Go with shallots for a richer flavour if you have some on hand
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 Carrots finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups cooked egg noodles
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook egg noodles for 3-4 minutes, then drain and set aside. Noodles should be semi-hard still (we don't want them to be too soft or they will disintegrate later on)
- Heat olive oil over med-high heat in large pot. Add onions/shallots and garlic, sautéing for 1 min until fragrant. Add mushrooms, carrots and celery, cooking for about 3-4 min until mushrooms start to release liquid and veggies are tender.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned, then add red wine, salt and pepper and flour, tossing to combine.
- Add beef stock and cooked noodles, bringing to a boil and cooking for 1-2 minutes until mixture starts to thicken. Stir in sour cream, red pepper and spinach, then remove from heat. Serve and enjoy!
- Freeze leftovers in individual portion sizes in glass bowls or foil containers. If using foil, reheat in 375F oven for 45 min. If using glass bowls, reheat in microwave on high for 5-6 minutes, stirring halfway through and adding 1-2 tsp of water or milk to add more moisture.