This Healthy One Pot Beef Stroganoff is a delicious 30-minute dinner idea that is also freezer-friendly and sneakily packed with veggies.
How to make this recipe
Boil water in a large pot. Cook egg noodles. Once cooked, drain and set aside. Noodles should be semi-hard.
Add onions and garlic, sautéing until fragrant. Add mushrooms, carrots and celery, cooking until mushrooms start to release liquid and the rest of the veggies are tender.
Add ground beef and cook. Then add red wine, salt & pepper and flour, tossing to combine.
Add beef stock and cooked noodles, bringing to a boil until mixture starts to thicken. Stir in sour cream, red pepper and spinach, then remove from heat. Serve and enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – Any neutral oil like avocado oil, sunflower oil or vegetable oil will work.
- Yellow onion – White onions or shallots are a good alternative to yellow onion in this recipe.
- Garlic – You can use fresh or jarred minced garlic
- Mushrooms – Mushrooms are a key ingredient in Stroganoff but the kind of mushrooms you use is up to you (cremini, portobello, baby portabella or mixed mushrooms).
- Red wine – Pick any dry red wine of your choice, besides what you’re using in the mix you’ll be drinking!
- Carrots – Carrots are a great add in to this dish, but if you don’t have carrots or don’t like them feel free to use a vegetable of your choice.
- Celery – Apply notes above for carrots.
- Ground beef – For a more meaty effect you can use steak pieces or rib eye.
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Red bell pepper – Apply notes above for carrots.
- Flour – Cornstarch can be used to coat the beef as well.
- Beef broth – Beef broth will compliment the flavours of the beef used but you can use chicken or vegetable broth.
- Egg noodles – Feel free to substitute the egg noodles for other pastas, use rice or make the dish low carb double up the spinach.
- Sour cream – Greek yogurt is a great alternative for sour cream in this dish.
- Fresh spinach – I recommend spinach but any other leafy green will also work.
Storing and reheating
To store your beef stroganoff, let the dish cool down then place individual servings in airtight glass containers. Storing them in individual servings makes warming up leftovers so much easier! Once it's stored in the fridge, it will last for up to four days. That means you have a delicious meal ready for the week!
When you're ready to eat your beef stroganoff, warm it up in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until warmed. Eat right out of the meal prep container or serve on a plate and enjoy!
Freezing this recipe
Beef stroganoff is actually an ideal dish to freeze and allows for this delicious meal to last even longer! To freeze, make sure the dish has cooled down entirely to room temperature. Scoop the beef stroganoff into airtight containers and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More one pot recipes
Meal prep tools
- Grab some Glass meal prep bowls if you plan on packing this up for lunch!
- And of course I get all my grass-fed beef from Butcher Box!
One Pot Healthy Beef Stroganoff
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion or 2 shallots, diced Go with shallots for a richer flavour if you have some on hand
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups cooked egg noodles
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook egg noodles for 3-4 minutes, then drain and set aside. Noodles should be semi-hard still.
- Heat olive oil over med-high heat in large pot. Add onions/shallots and garlic, sautéing for 1 min until fragrant. Add mushrooms, carrots and celery, cooking for about 3-4 min until mushrooms start to release liquid and veggies are tender.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned, then add red wine, salt & pepper and flour, tossing to combine.
- Add beef stock and cooked noodles, bringing to a boil and cooking for 1-2 minutes until mixture starts to thicken. Stir in sour cream, red pepper and spinach, then remove from heat. Serve and enjoy!
- Freeze leftovers in individual portion sizes in glass bowls or foil containers. If using foil, reheat in 375F oven for 45 min. If using glass bowls, reheat in microwave on high for 5-6 minutes, stirring halfway through and adding 1-2 tsp of water or milk to add more moisture.