Bolognese Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups (Video!)
These Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups with bolognese sauce and ricotta cheese are a delicious, healthy way to enjoy your fave comfort food without the carbs!
This post is sponsored by Mutti. Thanks so much for supporting the brands that help keep my blog up and running!
Okay, get ready for all my New Year New Me recipes coming straight for ya!!!
I don't know about you, but I'm really getting into healthy eating for the New Year already and prepping all my meal plans now. I know it seems kinda crazy, but I really love planning this kind of stuff – it excites me! Discovering new recipes, finding fun ways to make your favourite comfort foods just a little bit healthier…I love it!
And that's where these Bolognese Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups enter the picture.
Yes, I'm talking lasagna without the pasta or heavy carbs. Just cheesy deliciousness, tons of veggies and lunch all week. Sounds like a good idea, yes?
Now let me tell you a bit about Mutti and their passatas. Strained tomatoes are a staple in my household because they are so versatile and can be used for SO many different recipes. Say goodbye to those jarred sauces and hello to 100% Italian, GMO-free tomatoes that are perfect for soups, homemade pasta sauces, pizzas and more.
You name your fave Italian food, and it's whipped up ASAP with a little passata. You'll feel like you're eating in Rome in no time.
Try not to look at the snow outside your window, okay.
A fourth-generation family-run brand, I'm really in love with Mutti's focus on quality and admire their dedication to producing delicious Italian products. Needless to say I was more than inspired to create a fun twist on lasagna using their passata. It's really the only tomato product you need in your kitchen!
I mean, you know me. I'm a huge fan of convenience in the kitchen but I absolutely do not compromise when it comes to using wholesome, quality ingredients. That's what makes cooking from home the best right? You're the head chef and get to make all the executive decisions!
These zucchini roll-ups use my favourite bolognese sauce, and it makes enough that there will be some leftover for you to freeze for a future meal, borrowed from my favourite lasagna recipe that I make annually and freeze in tons of aluminum containers.
Kinda like a TV dinner but better.
All you need now is a little creme brulee action in your life for the BEST DINNER EVERRRRRR.
Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups
- 6 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 tub ricotta cheese
- 1 jar Mutti basil passata
- 1 cup shredded pizza mozzarella
- 2 yellow onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp red wine
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 jar Mutti passata
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- In a food processor, blend yellow onions, garlic, carrots and celery together into a paste.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over med-high heat. Add celery-carrot mixture and saute for 1 minute. Add ground beef, red wine, salt and pepper, cooking for 3-4 minutes. Add passata, bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice zucchini very thinly using a mandolin or by hand. If you are slicing by hand and can't get the zucchini thin enough, that's okay! What you want to do is saute the zucchini until slightly wilted, about 2-3 min on med-high heat.
- Lay out zucchini slices flat, then spread with ricotta cheese. Top with bolognese sauce. Roll each zucchini slice up, and place in a 8x11 baking dish.
- Once all zucchini slices are rolled up and in baking dish, pour basil passata overtop, then top with shredded mozzarella. Bake in 400 F oven for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or basil and serve immediately!