Watermelon, Honeydew & Mint Agua Fresca
Welcome to my last installment of Fresca Fridays! This week, I'm sharing a Watermelon and Mint Agua Fresca recipe, the ultimate refresher on a summer day! Last week's Agua Fresca recipe was a Mango-Grapefruit combination – a sweet mix of fresh, ripe mango, with a punchy helping hand from a little grapefruit.
The week before that, I featured a gorgeous Rosemary-Blackberry-Strawberry Agua Fresca, made with fresh berries, rosemary, lime and simple syrup. The challenge there was straining all seeds and pulp, making for a drink that exploded with flavour.
Over the past couple of weeks, I have been making Agua Fresca cocktails that are a blend of simple syrup, water, and strained fruit puree. You can come up with pretty much any deliciously fruity combination you can think of. Tropical fruits are an obvious choice, but seasonal produce also works well. I love adding fresh herbs to my Agua Frescas for an added kick of flavour!
I made this Agua Fresca recipe with fresh lime juice, succulent honeydew, refreshing watermelon and fresh mint along with a bit of simple syrup. The best part of this recipe in particular is that there is barely any need for sweetener as most of the fruit involved is naturally sweet.
There's a lot of pulp in both the watermelon and the honeydew so straining the fruit juice is even more important here. You may even have to strain the juice twice to ensure a smooth drink – that's what Agua Fresca is essentially, a fruit water. There's nothing more unappealing to me than drinking a whole bunch of watermelon pulp and seeds when what you really crave is the fresh, smooth flavour. Trust me, it's worth the little extra bit of time and effort!
So end your Friday the right way with this deliciously simple cocktail, or enjoy it on its own as a mid-afternoon refresher on the patio this weekend.
Watermelon and Mint Agua Fresca Recipe
- 2 cups sliced fresh watermelon
- 1 cup fresh chopped honeydew
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1-2 tsp simple syrup
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2-3 cups distilled/purified water
- Puree all ingredients in a blender,
- Pour into a fine mesh strainer to get rid of pulp, working in batches if necessary and using a large bowl or pitcher to catch the juices. Work through with water as pulp becomes too thick and is resistant to straining. You may need to restrain depending on how much pulp is still in the juice at the end.
- Add up to 3 cups of water to the juice mixture, depending on how strong you would like the flavours to be. Keep in mind this drink is supposed to be refreshing with a subtle flavour.
- Enjoy as is or add 1 oz of your favourite liquor to a tall glass of Aguas Frescas (we prefer vodka for a more subtle flavour).