Tuna Poke Wonton Bites with Kiwi Salsa
This post has been sponsored by Zespri Kiwifruit. Thanks for supporting the brands that help keep my blog up and running!
Kiwi Salsa. Yes folks, it's going to quickly become your next go-to summer salsa! The mildly sweet flavours with crunchy peppers and cilantro give this hot weather condiment the best kick – and guess what? It goes great with seafood!
These Tuna Poke Wonton Bites with Kiwi Salsa are going to tickle your tastebuds and send a shiver down your spine. Just don't let anybody at your next dinner party see how infatuated you are with these things okay. I promise you, they'll understand without you even having to say anything!
I was so excited to partner with Zespri Kiwifruit for this post particularly because I've never had golden kiwifruit before. I know it sounds lame, but I'm the type of person who gets excited over fruits and veggies these days. We could all use a little more variety in our diets, right?
The Zespri Sungold Kiwifruit that I've used in these Tuna Poke Wonton Bites are so versatile and a wonderful addition to both sweet and savoury types of recipes. They can even be eaten on their own with just a spoon for a quick snack – just cut them in half and dig in!
Back to these wonton bites though. These things really remind me of my family dinner parties with ALL the bite-sized appetizers you could ever dream of. There's always a giant bar area, alongside a couple of dips, a variety of veggies and chips and cheese and crackers and mozzarella sticks and crostinis. Ever since I was little we've had a smorgasborg of food before the dinner is even ready! And then not surprisingly we can't even eat dinner…
If you're anything like my family then you'll recognize this dilemma, and honestly the only thing to do is to introduce healthier versions of your finger food favourites. I would say these Tuna Poke Wonton Bites fit the bill for delicious and healthy party food for sure.
You don't even have to use tuna steak in this recipe – salmon, rainbow trout, shrimp, scallops or any of your other favourite sushi-grade fish will more than do. As usual, I like to provide the opportunity to mix things up should your tastes not exactly fit mine. Although I hope they would, cuz I've got great taste, okay?!
Will you be trying these Tuna Poke Wonton Bites with Kiwi Salsa? Be sure to look out for Zespri Sungold Kiwifruit from May to October of every year – now's the time to try one! And as always, if you try any of my recipes be sure to let me know in the comments, on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook! I'd love to hear some of your summer entertaining tips!
Tuna Poke Wonton Bites with Kiwi Salsa
- 1 medium-sized tuna steak fresh or frozen...though obviously I recommend fresh!
- 1 package wonton wrappers
Kiwi Avocado Salsa
- 2-3 golden Zespri Kiwifruit peeled and diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1/2 yellow pepper diced
- 1/2 medium red onion diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut tuna steak into small, diced pieces. To make this easier, you can either freeze tuna for about an hour to make cuts more precise, or if using frozen tuna you can start cutting before it's been fully defrosted.
- Prepare kiwifruit and veggies and toss with lime juice and salt, letting stand for at least 15-20 min for flavours to absorb.
- Meanwhile, place wonton wrappers in a greased 24-count mini muffin tin, pressing to create a flat surface at the bottom of each cup. Bake in the oven for 7-10 min, watching so they don't burn.
- Remove shells when they are firm but not overly browned. Add tuna to the kiwi avocado salsa and toss. Distribute mixture evenly among wonton shells.
- Serve immediately, and if not serving immediately then keep tuna and kiwi salsa mixture separate until ready to serve.
So how quick can you throw these Tuna Poke Wonton Bites together? ‘Cause when you do I'm coming over!