Tandoori Chicken Burgers & Cucumber Raita
Mmm Tandoori Chicken is one of our favourites! In fact, we love all kinds of Indian food but find it very hard to nail the spices down. These Tandoori Chicken Burgers with Raita are perfect for summer BBQs but can also be cooked in the oven.
The cucumber raita is one of my favourite additions to this recipe. It's similar to a Greek tzatziki sauce with the cucumber and yogurt base, but the added mint and cilantro add a kick of flavour that perfectly complement the Indian spices in the chicken.
Though it may be hard to find some of the spices listed, most of the time your local international corner store should have them. We also go to Kensington Market for our spices, at the House of Spice shop. We learned about it on a Kensington Krawl food tour hosted by Savour Toronto, and nearly every spice you could ever want can be found here. We tried to narrow down the number of unfamiliar spices, but certain spices like fenugreek and cardamom may require a trip to a specialty store.
If you're short on time, you can also order this delicious Butter Chicken spice mix via independent business Earthy Spices. We were sent a package to try and made some of the best Butter Chicken I have ever tasted, and I imagine it would taste delicious with this recipe!
The naan bread is substantial enough to hold all toppings and be folded over to eat as an actual burger, but I prefer to eat with a fork and knife.
Will you be trying our Tandoori Chicken Burgers with Cucumber Raita?
Tandoori-Style Chicken Burgers with Raita
- 2 in chicken breasts slicedhalf
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp Indian spice mix recipe follows
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp gingerroot minced
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Indian spice mix
- 4 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried cloves
- 2 tsp fenugreek
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Romaine lettuce
- tomato diced
- red onion sliced
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 cup diced cucumber
- 1 clove smallgarlic minced
- 1 tsp chopped mint
- 1 tsp chopped cilantro
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix together Indian spice mix.
- Slice chicken breasts in half to make thinner chicken slices for each piece of naan bread. Marinate chicken in seasoning in a large plastic bag for up to 30 min.
- Cook chicken in oven for 20 min on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, prepare veggie toppings and cucumber raita. Within last 3 minutes of chicken cooking place naan bread in oven.
- Remove chicken and naan bread, then top naan with toppings in this order: lettuce, chicken, red onion, tomato and raita. Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired.