Sweet Potato Chipotle Chicken Burrito Jars
These Sweet Potato Chipotle Chicken Burrito Jars are full of delicious southwest flavours and protein – they're also a tasty low-carb lunch you can take with you on-the-go!
Happy Wednesday!!! Ahh, there's something I love about the middle of the week. You're feeling accomplished, you've got the ball rolling on your to-do list, and the best part?! You've already conquered the roughest days of the week, Monday and Tuesday!
So to celebrate, I'm bringing you these Sweet Potato Chipotle Chicken Burrito Jars. You know, just in case you've happened to fall off the bandwagon when it comes to your weekly meal prep.
Now let me tell you about the magic that is the mason jar.
I was having a conversation with my good friends about Pinterest and trendy food ideas and of course the mason jar came up. They were wondering, what's the point of them anyway? They look good, but do they actually serve a purpose?
I am NOT the type of person to say they are obsessed with mason jar recipes just for the hell of it. Like yes, I will get in on some of those food trends you see on Pinterest like watermelon pizzas, ice cream sandwich pops and all those roll-up stuffed chicken recipes but there's a reason things like this blow up and become really popular: because more often than not, they are ingenius, and serve a very handy purpose.
This is the case with the mason jar, trust me. And once you find out specifically why, your mind will be blown forever.
Are you ready for it?
Dressing and protein goes on the bottom, greens go on the top. You get to marinate your protein (chicken, tofu, black beans, steak, etc.) while keeping your spinach, romaine and arugula crisp and fresh – no soggy lettuce over here okay!
Mason jars also transport a lot easier than your traditional tupperware. I love using square glass bowls for healthy meal prep bowls like these Souvlaki Chicken Meal Prep Bowls and these Jerk Chicken Meal Prep Bowls because you can take them with you and heat them up in the microwave at work.
Similarly, I love mason jar salads because they just fit into your lunch box easier – you don't need a separate container for your dressing and they are more compact, fitting into your lunch bag a little bit easier than a traditional lunch container.
You can also shake your mason jar up to mix the dressing up a lot easier – a lot of people forget how much of a pain in the ass it is to evenly distribute salad dressing, for realsssssss. I honestly think that tossing a salad in a bowl that's too small is the bane of my existence. Let me just shake up my salad and go on my way please.
These Sweet Potato Chipotle Chicken Burrito Jars are about as easy as it gets when it comes to your weekly meal prep. You basically roast the chicken and diced up sweet potatoes in the oven for 15 minutes, make your chipotle dressing while everything is cooking, then remove the pan, take out the chicken, replace with a few peppers, roast another 5-10 minutes, then remove again and assemble your jars!
The chipotle dressing is also super easy so don't worry about jumping through any giant hoops. It's basically sour cream (or Greek yogurt if you hate sour cream) mixed with some adobo sauce from a can of chipotles, mixed with the tiniest bit of salt and lemon juice. BAM! A low calorie dressing for a low-carb, high-protein salad that is gonna be your go-to week after week.
It certainly doesn't hurt that all of this can be ready and prepped for the week in under an hour.
Will you be making these Sweet Potato Chipotle Chicken Burrito Jars?
I'm thinking I'm just going to eat these week by week for the rest of the summer. More time to get out there and enjoy the good weather while it lasts, right?!
Mason Jar Sweet Potato Burrito Salads
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning, diced
- 3 chicken breasts, diced
- 3 sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 each red, green and yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 head romaine lettuce, sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2-3 tbsp adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Mix chicken with 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp taco seasoning in a bowl. Repeat the same process in a separate bowl for the sweet potatoes. Add each to a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and season with salt and pepper. Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, mix all ingredients for chipotle dressing together.
- Remove from oven and remove chicken from pan, setting aside. Add veggies to the spot where chicken used to be, and season with salt and pepper. Bake another 5-10 minutes until veggies are softened and sweet potato is cooked through.
- Divide black beans among 4 mason jars, along with chipotle dressing. Divide chicken among each jar, followed by sweet potatoes, bell peppers and onions, and top with lettuce. Keep in fridge up to 5 days and enjoy!