These Sweet Chili Chicken Salad Jars are the perfect grab and go lunch, filled with coleslaw along with vermicelli noodles and crispy wontons!
How to make this recipe
Season chicken with salt and grill, flipping at the 10 minute mark. While the chicken is grilling, cook vermicelli and prepare veggies.
Remove chicken from grill and cut into cubes. Toss the chicken in sweet chili sauce.
Divide chicken evenly among each mason jar.
Add cucumber, red pepper, cilantro and kale beet slaw. Top with vermicelli noodles, wonton crisps, chili pepper, green onions and peanuts.
Serve and enjoy – these jars will last in the fridge up to 5 days.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Chicken breasts – chicken thighs can also be used in this recipe and can even provide a juicier cut of meat.
- Sweet chili sauce – if you aren’t able to find a sweet chili sauce, pair your favourite hot sauce with some honey.
- Cucumber – replace cucumber with another vegetable or leave it out entirely.
- Red pepper – use any bell pepper colour of your choice or replace with another vegetable of your choice.
- Cilantro – if you’re not a fan of cilantro, parsley will freshen up the dish as well but you can also leave it out entirely.
- Kale beet slaw – use another slaw of choice to replace the kale beet slaw.
- Vermicelli noodles – mung bean vermicelli noodles, rice stick noodles or angel hair pasta are all common alternatives for vermicelli noodles.
- Wonton crisps – in a pinch, tortilla strips will also work to add crunch to the dish.
- Red chili pepper – use a Serrano pepper, cayenne pepper or jalapeño pepper if you’re not able to find red chili peppers.
- Green onions (optional to garnish)
- Chopped peanuts (optional to garnish)
Once prepared and ready to store in the fridge, mason jar salad recipes will last four to five days in the refrigerator. That makes this the perfect dish to meal prep for your lunch or dinners for the whole week! The key to keeping the salad fresh, even after it's been in the fridge for two days, is to layer the mason jar strategically. Layer the salad with the dressing, chicken, veggies and then the greens/noodles on top. This will keep the greens from getting soggy when stored!
Once you're ready to enjoy your salad, shake up the mason jar to combine all the ingredients and enjoy! You'll want to pour the contents into another bowl to make eating it more enjoyable
Freezing the chicken
After you've made your chicken, you can freeze any leftovers for future meals or future salad jars! Allow the meat to cool down completely once it's been cooked and then transfer it to a freezer bag or airtight container. Keep the chicken in the freezer for up to three months. When you're ready to use the chicken, move it to the fridge the night before to allow it to thaw.
If you'd like to eat the chicken warm, warm it up in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Make sure to sprinkle some water over the chicken to prevent it from drying out in the microwave.
More mason jar recipes
Meal prep tools
- These are the mason jars I use.
- These are the vermicelli noodles I buy.
- This is the brand of tamari I like, and I love this low-sodium soy sauce.
- And of course I get all my free-range chicken breasts from Butcher Box!
Sweet Chili Chicken Salad Jars
- 4 Mason jars
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 package kale beet slaw
- 1 cup cooked vermicelli noodles
- 1/2 cup wonton crisps
- 1 red chili pepper, sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped peanuts
- Preheat BBQ to med-high. Season chicken with salt and grill for 20 min, flipping halfway through. Meanwhile, cook vermicelli and prepare veggies.
- Remove chicken from grill and let cool. Cut into cubes once cool enough to handle and toss in sweet chili sauce. Divide chicken evenly among each mason jar.
- Add cucumber, red pepper, cilantro and kale beet slaw. Top with vermicelli noodles, wonton crisps, chili pepper, green onions and peanuts. Serve and enjoy - these jars will last in the fridge up to 5 days.