Superfood Salad Recipe
This Deconstructed Superfood Salad Recipe is an amazingly fresh and bright pop of nutritious and colourful vegetables, and is deliciously vegetarian.
If you've been keeping up with my recipes then you'll notice that I use Sriracha in alot of sauces and marinades! Well, here it is again in my yummy lemon vinaigrette!! Sriracha is an Asian-style hot sauce that is not too spicy and adds a bit of a kick to a recipe so when I can use it, I do.
With summer around the corner, salads are the perfect, light and refreshing dish. This recipe is ideal for a bright and sunny weekend day, a vegetarian addition to a BBQ with friends, and a quick midday lunch when you're busy and short on time. It's fresh, easy to make, and full of colour and nutrients!
It's important nutritionally to eat a variety of colours. The amount of vegetables you eat isn't the only thing you need to take into consideration. Different colours represent different nutrients and getting a little serving of each colour in your diet everyday helps ensure you get enough of different vitamins and minerals you need for a good health.
I'm also a huge fan of avocados! They are one of the best foods you can eat with a high level of healthy fats, and they are packed with nutrients like vitamin C and E that will help you keep you feeling full and satisfied! Eating healthy fats have been known to make your skin glow, boost your immune system and help lower your cholesterol. They are also just super tasty and a treat to include in any recipe!
Fresh herbs work beautifully in this salad and add a unique pop of flavour that you can't quite get with your simple salad dressing. There's a wonderful layer of flavours and freshness in this superfood salad recipe – and it just might be the best hangover cure for tomorrow 😉
Deconstructed Superfood Salad Recipe
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1/3 cup frozen corn defrosted
- 1/3 cup sliced red pepper
- 1/2 quinoa optional
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup red cabbage
- 1/2 cup sprouts
- 1/2 cucumber chopped
- 1/2 red chill pepper sliced or chopped
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small shallot chopped finely
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- First and foremost, mix together the ingredients for the lemon vinaigrette and let flavours mingle.
- Prepare all vegetables, washing if necessary, and cook quinoa according to package instructions (if adding).
- Arrange each set of vegetables around your bowl in a circle, filling every part of it.
- Right before dressing salad, use a strainer to remove shallots and garlic from the vinaigrette with a bowl placed underneath the strainer; it is important to get the flavour of the two without it overpowering the vinaigrette.
- Toss salad and enjoy!