Super Easy Breakfast Tostadas
Brunch in my house is always a Sunday affair. My dad, brother and I go for a workout and then when we come home my mom is blasting music in the kitchen cooking up a storm. It's kind of become a tradition that I have come to love, but it's easy to get sick and tired of the same old eggs and bacon after a while.
Well, I've got your next best idea for your fave weekend meal! These Super Easy Breakfast Tostadas are the perfect brunch dish, and just like a scrumptious breakfast taco – just in time for Cinco de Mayo.? This is my favourite time of year – fresh, local produce is just coming into season in Ontario, and I'm more determined than ever to incorporate as many fruits and vegetables into my meals than ever. I'm almost competing with myself to determine just how colourful I can make my recipes!
These Breakfast Tostadas are just that – beyond vibrant and colourful, and kind of the perfect Mexican-inspired spin on Huevos Rancheros: the trick is getting the sunny side up egg just perfect, and using the freshest limes, tomatoes, green onions and avocado possible. The homemade refried black beans are the perfect topper for the crispy corn tortillas, and if you want to add bacon, it is the most delicious breakfast-y addition.??
This is by far one of my all-time favourite recipes, and now it's becoming the only thing I ever want to eat for brunch. But don't let my rantings and ravings about brunch let me stop you from whipping this up for dinner – whoever you're cooking for would certainly welcome the opportunity to sit down to this after a long day of work! ?
Did I forget to mention that this dish is easily whipped up in a matter of just 40 minutes or so, give or take a few minutes if you have a little extra help in the kitchen? Make this a family affair and get everyone to pitch in. You'll be sitting down to wolf these down in no time!
This recipe is easily made vegetarian, and is naturally gluten free for all those with food sensitivities at your brunch table. With all the veggies, you're also getting a relatively healthy meal that incorporates all kinds of flavours and colours. When in doubt, I always add some cilantro.?
What are some of your favourite Cinco de Mayo recipes? Will you be trying these Super Easy Breakfast Tostadas? If you try any of my recipes be sure to let me know on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook – I’d love to hear from you!?
Super Easy Breakfast Tostadas
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4 eggs more if desired
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 potato pancakes or 4 hash browns
- 8 slices bacon optional
- 1 tomato deseeded and diced
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 jalapeno sliced
- 1 can black beans
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Heat two large frying pans over medium heat. Fry bacon and hash browns in separately in each pan until fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, mash black beans in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Add sour cream, olive oil, chili powder, garlic powder, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper and continue to mash and stir beans. Leave to finish cooking on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Set aside hash browns and bacon once they are finished cooking. Add poblano pepper to one of the pans and stir fry quickly.
- Add corn tortillas to oven and cook for about 5 minutes until they are crispy.
- Meanwhile, in the other cleaned out frying pan, add olive oil and set over low-medium heat. Carefully crack eggs into pan and fry for about 4-5 minutes until egg yolks begin to set. Do no flip.
- Remove tortillas from oven and spread refried black beans onto each. Top each with either three potato pancakes or one hash brown. Add 2 slices of bacon if you're adding it. Garnish with poblano peppers, tomato, cilantro and green onion. Top with egg and add sliced avocado and jalapeño.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream and hot sauce.