Stuffed Zucchini Marinara
This Stuffed Zucchini Recipe is super filling with ground turkey, spinach and marinara sauce, topped with shredded cheese!
I love zucchini, and stuffed vegetables, so what better way to eat dinner than to combine the two! This Stuffed Zucchini with Marinara Sauce recipe is one of the simplest, quickest entrees you can make for dinner, and are a good overall source of a variety of nutritious vegetables and protein. It's an all-in-one meal that you can serve alone, or with a side of rice or salad.
Scraping out the pulp of the zucchini is very easy, and so is adding the meat. Read on to find out how to make the deliciously simple marinara sauce, and make these for your quick and easy Monday night!
The meat sauce is easy to make and delicious. You can use a plain can of cheap tomato sauce and spice it up, or if you're in a rush you can use Classico brand or some of your favourite flavoured spaghetti sauce. I used Classico's Roasted Garlic and Onion sauce, which blended well with the red wine and the meat. I always recommend keeping a bottle each of red and white wine on hand even if you don't drink it yourself: it always comes in handy for cooking!
I topped my stuffed zucchini with a little bit of shredded cheese for extra flavour, and made the recipe slightly reminiscent of a chicken parmesan recipe. You can experiment with different cheese, but I prefer marble or sharp cheddar for an added burst of flavour.
To get some extra veggies, serve your zucchini boats along with a side salad! You could also try including some quinoa in your stuffing for a bit of extra filling, but otherwise this recipe is gluten-free and so delicious!
Stuffed Zucchini Marinara
- 4 zucchini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp red wine
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce (can use plain or spaghetti sauce such as Classico)
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat oil in large pan on med-high heat. Once oil is heated, saute onions and garlic for 2 minutes until fragrant. Throw in ground turkey and all spices except for tomato sauce and red wine.
- Cook stirring occasionally, breaking meat. After about 5 minutes, add tomato sauce and red wine. Simmer for 10 minutes until ground turkey is cooked. Remove from heat and mix in spinach.
- Meanwhile, slice zucchini in half and scoop out seeds/pulp. When meat is done cooking, fill zucchini boats with the mixture and then put in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with shredded cheese. Cook for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.