Rosemary Strawberry-Blackberry Agua Fresca
I'm starting a three part cocktail recipe series here on the Girl on Bloor to celebrate and ring in the warmer spring weather and the increasingly beautiful weekends we've been getting here in Toronto.
Aguas Frescas are a combination of fruits, herbs, flowers, or seeds blended with a tiny bit of simple syrup and water to make light non-alcoholic beverages. Originating in Spain and also called “Spanish Cool Waters”, these refreshing drinks are popular in Mexico, the Caribbean and South America.
Typically, fruits like cantaloupe, strawberry, watermelon and mango are popular in these drinks for their light flavour, and ability to be juiced. Melons especially are a big hit in Central America and definitely give a refreshingly summer vibe to this drink. I decided to combine strawberry and blackberry for my first Agua Fresca to reflect springtime fruits here in Canada and bring forth a stronger, punchier flavour.
I decided to put together three Augas Frescas Recipes to help you prepare for summer, and enjoy fruits in a new way – these are perfect for outdoor gatherings and parties, and can be made up to a day or two in advance and kept in a large pitcher.
The straining of the fruit pulp is often the most time consuming and annoying part of the whole process, but a smooth drink is definitely worth it, not to mention the fact that you're getting multiple servings of fruit and Vitamin C alongside your cocktail.
Typically, alcohol is not used but you can definitely include it for a healthier cocktail option. You can also get as creative as you'd like when making your agua fresca – part of me wishes I had done a cantaloupe-kiwi and may be trying that out later this summer!
Stay tuned as I introduce other delicious aguas frescas recipes the next two Fridays in a row – here's a sneak peek of the other flavours I'll be introducing…
Try any of my recipes? Tag me on social media!! I'd love to see what you've been up to in the kitchen, and just might repost your creation 🙂
Rosemary Strawberry-Blackberry Aguas Frescas
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 2/3 cup fresh blackberries
- juice from half lime
- 2 small sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 tsp simple syrup
- 2-3 cups distilled/purified water
- Puree all ingredients in a blender.
- Pour into a fine mesh strainer to get rid of pulp, working in batches if necessary and using a large bowl or pitcher to catch the juices. Work through with water as pulp becomes too thick and is resistant to straining.
- Add up to 3 cups of water to the juice mixture, depending on how strong you would like the flavours to be. Keep in mind this drink is supposed to be refreshing with a subtle flavour.
- Enjoy as is or add 1 oz of your favourite liquor to a tall glass of Aguas Frescas (we prefer vodka for a more subtle flavour).