Sour Frankenstein Cocktail
This Sour Frankenstein Cocktail is a fun party cocktail for Halloween. Don't let the green fool you: they're really just cucumber margaritas in disguise!
This Sour Frankenstein Cocktail is a bonus for all you Halloween lovers out there, and you don't need to cook up any crazy concoctions to surprise your party guests. I posted a Pumpkin Chai and Liquorice Martini recipe last week to celebrate Halloween, along with these delish Stuffed Caramel Apples. I'm also in love with this Candy Corn Caramel Popcorn.
Have I mentioned how much I LOVE Halloween?
Seriously though, this Sour Frankenstein Cocktail is a flavour that everyone is going to love: cucumber margaritas!
I'd like to believe that my love of margaritas is well-documented seeing as I have concocted many flavours over the years, from pineapple margaritas to prickly pear, but surprisingly I have yet to share ALL of my favourite margarita recipes. Well, friends, you're in luck, because cucumber is hands-down my absolute fave!
The fake blood, well…it is optional. But why not add it on for the spooky effect right? And it's a totally edible no-brainer: CORN SYRUP and red food colouring!
If you follow me on Snapchat (I'm thegirlonbloor on there, by the way), then you'll know I had a hilarious encounter with some dried up cornstarch-gone-wrong, gelatinous mess of fake blood before I turned to the interwebs for some answers.
I was mixing up red food colouring, cornstarch, simple syrup and water somehow miraculously hoping that all of a sudden the mixture would turn thick enough to rim my cocktail glasses with.
THEN I tried microwaving it, because that makes total sense. In my defence, I thought the heat would make it bubble and thicken up. WRONG.
So Google being the delightful dear friend that it is stirred me in the direction, and boom, cocktail-worthy fake blood was born.
And now you'll be the hero of your Halloween party.
That's the idea, right?
And now without further ado, I leave you with a little picture of my brother Troy and I enjoying all the spoils of Halloween as kids. Can you believe we are 25 and 21 now?! Time flies!
And more importantly, I'd LOVE to know what your go-to Halloween cocktail is. I always need to add more to my menu!
Sour Frankenstein Cocktail
- 6 oz tequila divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup simple syrup
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 cucumber sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 5 drops red food colouring
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Start by freezing glassware to ensure an extra cold glass.
- Mix together boiling water and sugar to create simple syrup. Put in the fridge or freezer to let cool.
- Meanwhile, make fake blood syrup by mixing all ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl. Freeze for 15 min.
- Using a blender (I love my Vitamix!) or Magic Bullet, blend water, limes, cucumber and salt until mixture is fine.
- Strain using a fine mesh sieve to get rid of pulp. Add simple syrup and stir well.
- Rim each glass in fake blood. Some of it will drizzle slightly down the sides.
- Add 1.5 oz tequila and a handful of ice to each glass, then top up with margarita mix.
- Serve and enjoy!