Grilled Asparagus Flatbread
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Loblaws Companies Inc.. All opinions are 100% mine.
So we are Month number two into my Loblaws ambassadorship, and I'm so excited to be highlighting asparagus recipes as the store's Food Alert Item for June! Though I'm a big fan of the vegetable now, I haven't always been. My mom used to serve it steamed and plain when I was a kid, and as an adult I can't help but shake my head – asparagus has so much flavour and is one of the most versatile summer vegetables!
This Grilled Asparagus Flatbread makes the best use out of this delectable veggie, and it's going to become your next go-to dinner on the BBQ, trust me! I like to also call it my “Farmer's Market Pizza” because it's filled with all kinds of delicious vegetables that are now in season, like zucchini and corn.
I have to say I've been making the most out of summer so far – I'm so happy that this year I've been able to actually enjoy the nice weather for once. I don't know if you can relate, but summer can be depressing if you have to work inside or if you're working as a summer student at an outdoor attraction. I was a lifeguard for five years and though I got to work outside for a couple summers, it made me feel like I was missing out sometimes seeing everyone else around me having fun while I had to work for 12 hours every day!
Then, by the time I got an office job last summer I found myself wishing I was back lifeguarding because being in an office Monday to Friday from 9-5 was even more depressing – especially considering the fact that we had beautiful weather in Toronto last summer! The grass is always greener on the other side, right?!
This summer, I'm easily making the season all about food and time outdoors. Since moving home, I've really seen how much work goes into maintaining my parents' backyard – it's insane! I swear they are outside gardening for the whole weekend moving plants around, cutting the grass and just making the place an oasis. It's literally the perfect spot to sit outside with a glass of wine and some of this Grilled Asparagus Flatbread.
Asparagus is in season from February to June of every year, but I've noticed that there are more varieties of it than ever around this time of the year – I've spotted purple and white asparagus at Loblaws over the past couple of weeks and they have been on my radar to try for a while! Asparagus is a very versatile veggie because you can literally enjoy it any which way: raw in salads, cooked in omelets and soups, oven-roasted, steamed, barbecued…the options are endless, and its subtle flavour pairs well with just about anything. I traditionally enjoy asparagus as a side dish to meat or chicken, but I think it's just become my new favourite pizza topping!
Now if you didn't tune in last month for my Peppery Balsamic and Garlic Fiddleheads recipe (fiddleheads were Loblaws' ingredient of the month for May), then I've gotta update you on the monthly Instagram contest that Loblaws is hosting in honour of their Food Alert Items. Since each Food Alert item will only be available for a limited time, you have to run out and grab it soon for your chance to win your next grocery shop (up to $250)!
To enter the contest, all you have to do is the following:
- Follow @LoblawsON on Instagram
- Ensure that your Instagram account is public (i.e. account privacy set to “off”)
- Upload an original picture to your Instagram that highlights the monthly Food Alert Item – this month it’s Asparagus
- Include #WeLoveFood and #ShareTheFoodLove in your Instagram post
Grilled Asparagus Flatbread
- 1 store bought thin-crust flatbread or you can make your own using pizza dough!
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- lb About a 1/2asparagus try to buy them thicker so they are easier to slice
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 a zucchini sliced
- 1 small portobello mushroom
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup sliced buffalo mozzarella balls
- 1/2 cup grated asiago cheese
More topping ideas:
- Fresh cherry tomatoes sliced
- Summer squash
- red onion
- sundried tomatoes
- Burrata cheese
- Preheat BBQ to med-high heat. Brush both sides of flatbread with olive oil, then place on grill for about 1-2 min each side until crisp.
- Meanwhile, chop and prepare vegetables. Top flatbread with garlic and oregano first, then season with salt and pepper. Spread half of the mozzarella over flatbread, then layer on vegetables. Top with remaining mozzarella and asiago, then place on grill for 10-15 min, watching bottom of flatbread closely. You may have to move it higher up off the direct heat for the remaining 5 min of cook time.