Roasted Yellow Pepper & Carrot Soup
This Roasted Yellow Pepper and Carrot Soup is also made with pureed butternut squash for a light summer lunch on-the-go.
Carrots are usually thought of as belonging in wintry, warming soups, but they have such a light and sweet flavour that we feel they are perfect for summer! In the spring and summer, soup can be a actually be a lighter version of the heavy soups we consume in the fall and winter and are handy to keep in your fridge for on-the-go snacking.
I've made this soup by roasting yellow pepper in the oven, and then pureeing it with sautéed carrot and butternut squash for a light soup that is perfect for an on-the-go lunch.
I love all the colours in this Roasted Yellow Pepper & Carrot Summer Soup, and it's a great way to get your veggies in alongside a meal filled with starch and meat. It's also a handy snack – just reheat it on the stovetop and it's way better for you than any sort of canned or boxed soup. Who needs all that extra sodium? And besides the unhealthy qualities of sodium, did you know that too much can make you bloated?
Soup is a great way to get a blast of anti-oxidants and nutrients all into one small bowl. Carrots are loaded with Vitamin A, and the ginger in this recipe will actually aid in the digestive process. We've also included some fresh parsley for a unique flavour, and a hint of scotch bonnet peppers make for a bit of a spicy kick.
Making this soup is as easy as 1-2-3. All you have to do is sauté and roast the veggies add your broth, then puree in a blender. It freezes well, and transports relatively well for a workplace lunch too.
So this weekend, take some time to make a big batch – you'll be thanking me all week!
Roasted Yellow Pepper & Carrot Summer Soup
- 5 inch Carrots peeled and cut into 1/2pieces
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1/2 inch butternut squash peeled and cut into 1/2pieces
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger root minced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 tsp butter
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper minced
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, and wash yellow pepper. Cut down the middle, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Once preheated, place pepper in oven for 20 min.
- Heat remaining olive oil in large saucepan with fitted lid. After about 30 seconds, add butter.
- Add onion, ginger and garlic and sauté for 2 min. Add butternut squash and carrots, cooking for 10 min on med. heat.
- Add broth, scotch bonnets, salt & pepper and place lid on saucepan, cooking for 20 min.
- Take pepper out of oven and let cool slightly.
- Pour carrot and squash mixture in blender, adding yellow pepper. Puree until smooth but textured, and add parsley, blending again slightly until all lumps in soup are removed.
- Serve immediately.