Popcorn Chicken & Waffle Fries Poutine (Video!)
This Popcorn Chicken & Waffle Fries Poutine is the most delicious twist on a Canadian classic with crunchy oven-baked chicken, cheese curds and a honey dijon drizzle!
This post is sponsored by Rosewood Estates Winery. Thanks for supporting the brands and businesses I love and support – they help to keep my blog up and running!
Okay people. We have serious things to talk about.
Like this Popcorn Chicken & Waffle Fries Poutine, for one.
Have you ever had something so delicious that you wish you could eat it every single day?
This Chicken & Waffle Fries Poutine is it.
I know, I know. I've technically changed the whole concept of poutine by removing the precious gravy.
But I promise, honey dijon dressing paired with the ooey-gooey, cheesy, crunchy deliciousness that is this poutine…you'll forget what original poutine is even supposed to be.
As the holidays approach and the nights are long, comfort food is becoming more of a staple than ever in my daily routine.
I mean, I can barely make it through the day unless I know I'm going to get a delicious reward at the end of it.
Chicken & Waffle Fries Poutine more than fits the bill for this. I mean, seriously.
And before I start rambling too much, I have to tell you the amazing wonder that is this popcorn chicken in this Chicken & Waffle Fries Poutine recipe!!! I mean, holy!!!
Can you believe it's baked and not fried?
So you totally won't blow your whole day's calorie intake on this meal, I promise.
Unless you're like me of course and eat a whole tray of it in one sitting…But we don't even need to go there…
I should talk a little bit more about the honey used in the honey dijon dressing. In the summer I had the pleasure of visiting a few wineries in the Beamsville Bench area of the Niagara region with my cousin for a girls' day out.
I had never been wine tasting before, but I realized quickly how lucky I am to live so close to such a vibrant, beautiful area of Southern Ontario with such natural bounty.
And there is not only a variety of different grapes grown by different wineries in this area, but one such winery, the award-winning Rosewood Estates Winery, also hosts beekeeping tours and sells local Ontario wildflower honey!
I've basically already gone through a jar of their honey in a month, it's so delicious.
This Chicken & Waffle Fries Poutine is perfect for game nights (hello, the Grey Cup is on Sunday!!!), or for getting cozy by the fire, or for enjoying an indulgent treat for a girls' night in to remember.
It's also perfect for those toasty days inside with lots of hot chocolate and movies.
Which reminds me…I totally need another lazy weekend soon. I literally have plans every single weekend from now until Christmas, and somehow I'm also going to have to run my holiday errands in between all the holiday parties and other fun activities.
I don't even know how I'm gonna make it through December.
Well, I'll have to make due with comfort food of course!
I am just dying for another plate of this Chicken & Waffle Fries Poutine.
*Popcorn chicken recipe adapted from The Cozy Apron
Popcorn Chicken & Waffle Poutine (Video!)
- 1 bag frozen waffle fries
- 1 package cheese curds
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
Honey Dijon dressing
- 1/4 cup Rosewood Estates Wildflower Honey
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 cups corn flakes
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Bake waffle fries according to package directions on a parchment-lined baking sheet (usually 30 min, flipping halfway through).
- Meanwhile, mix together corn flakes, parmesan cheese, paprika, salt & pepper and cayenne pepper, crushing with your hands until you get a relatively fine mixture. Pour mixture into a large plastic bag and set aside.
- Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes, then dump with flour into another large plastic bag, tossing to coat. Remove floured chicken and place in a large bowl. Add buttermilk, tossing to coat. Put chicken back in the cornflake mixture bag and toss to coat completely.
- Waffle fries should be done by this point so remove them from the oven and adjust oven to 425 F.
- Place chicken on a greased parchment lined baking sheet. Bake chicken for 15 min, flipping halfway through cooking time.
- Meanwhile, mix honey and dijon together to create dressing.
- When chicken is done and removed from oven, you can start to put together your poutine, adjusting the oven to the highest broiler setting. Using a heat-safe bowl or plate, add waffle fries, popcorn chicken and cheese curds. Broil for a couple min until cheese is melted, then remove from oven and top with green onions and honey dijon dressing.
- Serve and enjoy!
Will you be making this Popcorn Chicken & Waffle Fries Poutine? If you try any of my recipes be sure to let me know on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or in the comments – I’d love to see what you come up with!