This Instant Pot Enchilada Casserole is a delicious one pot Mexican chicken recipe that is ready in 30 minutes or less – it's also gluten-free!
Making this recipe in a slow cooker
If you aren’t the lucky owner of an electric pressure cooker, it is not a problem at all! You can make this Instant Pot enchilada casserole easily in a slow cooker instead.
Simply add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker, with the exception of any fresh toppings. Then, allow it to cook on low power for 6 hours, or until all of the liquid is absorbed into the quinoa.
Side dish ideas
When you're thinking of what to serve with a chicken enchilada casserole like this one, think of what you would typically serve with any Mexican dinner.
A side of tortilla chips and salsa would be nice, or a garden salad would be great for some additional healthy veggies.
Skip the Ads and Get Right to the Recipes!
- ZERO ADS on over 600 recipes!
- Weekly Meal Plans, Grocery & Prep Lists
- Bonus eBooks
- olive oil – Any neutral flavour of cooking oil like avocado or vegetable oil will also work
- boneless skinless chicken breasts – You’ll be dicing the chicken, so fresh tenders are a good substitute. If you prefer dark meat, you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead
- taco seasoning – Many store bought seasoning mixes include MSG as a preservative. If you would like to avoid it, you can use homemade taco seasoning
- minced garlic – Fresh cloves of garlic provide the most flavour, or you can use jarred garlic
- onions – I prefer yellow onion but white and red onion are fine too
- chicken broth or stock – Vegetable broth may be used instead
- tomato sauce – Cans of diced tomatoes will also work. Or, in a pinch, you can use your favourite pasta sauce, but you may need to add some water to thin it out
- uncooked quinoa – I prefer white, but any colour quinoa will be fine
- bell peppers – I like to add colour, so I use 1/2 each of red, green and yellow bell peppers
- shredded cheese – Cheddar, Parmesan, or even a Mexican cheese like Cojita would be great
- diced avocado – To keep your avocado fresh and prevent it from discoloring, squeeze a little bit of fresh lime juice over the pieces.
- plum tomatoes – I like using plum tomatoes because they tend to have less seeds, but any variety of tomato will be fine.
- fresh cilantro– Feel free to use parsley if you aren’t a fan of cilantro
Storing and reheating
Allow the casserole to cool down before transferring it to an airtight container. Keep it in the refrigerator and use it within 5 days.
You can reheat it in a pan on the stovetop over medium heat, in the microwave, or even in your Instant Pot.
To reheat the meal in your pressure cooker, you’ll want to use the simmer or sauté function. You’ll first need to remove any fresh toppings, like the avocado and shredded cheese. Stir it occasionally until it heats through.
Freezing this recipe
Instant Pot chicken enchilada casserole will freeze well for up to 3 months. Cool the meal to room temperature before transferring to airtight freezer-safe containers. To thaw, place the casserole in the refrigerator overnight before reheating it.
If you want to freeze it in individual containers for easy meal prep, it can be taken right from the freezer to the microwave. Reheat it on high power for a few minutes, stopping at least once to stir it.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
More Instant Pot casseroles
- Instant Pot Pizza Quinoa Casserole
- Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom Chicken
- Instant Pot African Peanut Stew
Meal Prep tools
- The Instant Pot DUO Plus 60 is the version I use in this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on packing this dish up for lunch
- I get free range chicken from my monthly Butcher Box
Instant Pot Enchilada Quinoa Casserole
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa
- 1/2 each red, green and yellow pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Add all ingredients except for bell peppers, cheese, avocado, plum tomatoes and cilantro to Instant Pot in the order written, making sure to add quinoa last.
- Set to manual and pressure cook on high for 3 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to pre-heat and then the 3 minutes to cook. When complete, press cancel and do a quick release of the steam, waiting until the pressure gauge drops back down and the lid is safe to open.
- Stir in bell peppers and top with cheese, avocado, plum tomatoes and cilantro. Serve among 6 bowls and enjoy!
Join The Girl on Bloor Premium!
- ZERO ADS!
- Weekly Meal Prep Checklists
- Bonus eBooks