This Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli with Rice is a takeout-inspired 30-minute dinner idea that comes together with pantry staples.
How to Make Beef and Broccoli
Add ingredients to the Instant Pot in the following order: olive oil, steak strips, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, water and rice.
Pressure cook for 4 minutes.
- Release pressure carefully once it's done then add broccoli and red pepper. Stir to combine ingredients.
Let the vegetables steam in Instant Pot for 5-10 minutes.
Garnish with sesame seeds. Serve and enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – use any neutral oil as a replacement for olive oil. Neutral oils can be canola oil, avocado oil or grapeseed oil.
- Steak strips – steak strips are preferred but use any cut of beef that you have on hand. Note that this may affect cook time.
- Garlic – use fresh or jarred minced garlic for this recipe. Feel free to use garlic powder in a pinch.
- Ginger – fresh or frozen grated ginger or ginger powder can be used.
- Soy sauce – coconut aminos or tamari are great alternatives to soy sauce.
- Hoisin sauce – garlic teriyaki sauce or oyster sauce can be used instead.
- Water – beef broth is a great, flavourful alternative to water.
- Jasmine rice – any white rice such as long grain rice or basmati can also be used. Be weary as it may alter cook time.
- Broccoli – use any green of choice.
- Red pepper – use any bell pepper or replace with another vegetable.
- Sesame seeds (to garnish)
What is in beef and broccoli sauce?
The beef and broccoli sauce is made from household pantry staples! It's a combination of soy sauce, garlic, ginger, hoisin sauce and water! All of these ingredients mixed together tastes amazing and is pretty much my go-to when making any sort of Asian-inspired cuisine.
If you like your stir fry to be on the spicy side, try adding a bit of sriracha or chili garlic sauce for added heat. Make the sauce separately and store it in a container for two weeks or just dump all the ingredients, one by one, right into the Instant Pot!
Storing and reheating
Leftover beef and broccoli will last in the fridge up to 5 days, making it a great meal prep recipe! Store this recipe in individual glass meal prep containers so that it is easy to reheat for lunch or dinner in an upcoming day. When reheating, sprinkle some water overtop of the beef to avoid it drying out and then microwave for 1-2 minutes or until heated all the way through.
Freezing this recipe
This delicious beef and broccoli recipe will freeze great, making it the perfect choice for lazy-day freezer prep dinners. Once cooled to room temperature, freeze the leftover beef and broccoli, alongside the rice, for up to three months. I recommend storing in individual servings in glass meal prep containers for easy reheating. When ready to enjoy, defrost in the fridge overnight before allow the serving to thaw overnight in the fridge then reheat following the instructions above. You can also cook right from frozen by sprinkling some water overtop to avoid the beef and rice from over drying and then microwave for 5-6 minutes or until fully warmed. Stop halfway to stir the dish.
Note: the broccoli will freeze well, but the red peppers may lose their texture after freezing. So, if you're making this recipe with freezer prep in mind, you might want to opt out from using bell peppers.
Want to Learn How to Meal Prep? Join Dinner Prep Pro!
Our meal planning service removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night thanks to our prep ahead checklists. It takes just one hour of ingredient prep on a Sunday!
More Instant Pot recipes to try out
- Easy pepper steak
- Salsa verde chicken (Instant Pot and slow cooker instructions)
- Beef barbacoa (Chipotle copycat)
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- The Instant Pot DUO Plus 60 is the version I use in this recipe.
- I get grass-fed beef from my monthly Butcher Box – it's a great way to enjoy healthier meats and poultry and they're even offering 2 free ribeyes and bacon!
- Grab some Glass meal prep bowls for your leftovers
Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry Noodles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb stir-fry steak strips
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 head Broccoli
- 1 red pepper, diced
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Add olive oil, steak strips, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, water and rice to Instant Pot in that order. Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 10-15 minutes to come to pressure, then pressure cook the 4 minutes so overall cooking time is closer to 20 minutes. Do a quick release of the pressure and open the lid when it's safe to do so.
- Add in broccoli and red pepper, stirring to combine well. Place lid back on Instant Pot and let sit for 5-10 minutes to let the vegetables steam. Serve with a bit of sesame seeds on top and enjoy!