This Grilled Chicken, Avocado & Ranch BLT Salad is made healthier thanks to turkey bacon and a mayo-free ranch dressing!
How to make this recipe
Preheat BBQ. Slice chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Place in a large plastic bag with marinade ingredients and mix together well.
While meat marinades, add romaine and baby kale to big salad bowls. Add cherry tomatoes and bocconcini to each. Divide red onion and sliced avocado among each.
Cook the chicken in a BBQ or in an oven. Remove from BBQ/oven and set aside, then slice when cooled slightly.
Meanwhile, mix together ingredients for ranch dressing and cook turkey bacon.
Add chicken to each salad, toss with dressing and serve!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Chicken breasts – chicken thighs are also a great option for this meal and may offer a juicier cut.
- Baby kale – if you’d like to replace the kale, do so another leafy green of your choice.
- Romaine lettuce – to substitute, double up on the kale or replace romaine lettuce with another leafy green of your choice.
- Red onion – shallots are a great alternative for red onions in this dish. You can also leave it out entirely if you’d like.
- Avocado – you will want to use avocado for this dish but if you don’t like avocado or if you’re in a pinch, you can leave it out.
- Turkey bacon – turkey bacon is a leaner meat but feel free to substitute it for regular bacon. If you do so it will change the nutrition facts.
- Bocconcini cheese – substitute with fresh mozzarella cheese or goat cheese if you’d like a softer cheese.
- Cherry tomatoes – grape tomatoes, plum tomatoes San Marzano tomatoes can also be used.
- Sour cream – greek yogurt is a great high protein alternative to sour cream.
- Lemon juice – fresh or bottled lemon juice will work
- Chives – finely chopped fresh chives
- Parsley – finely chopped fresh parsley
- Garlic – fresh or jarred minced garlic will work
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
Balsamic Chicken Marinade
- Olive oil – any neutral oil (grapeseed oil, sunflower oil, avocado oil) will work in place of the olive oil.
- Balsamic vinegar
- Dijon mustard – regular mustard or honey mustard will also work
- Honey – agave syrup or maple syrup are great honey substitutes.
- Salt (to taste)
Storing for meal prep
If you're looking to prep this salad for your week, store them in mason jars! This is the best way to keep your salads from getting soggy. The technique: layer the dressing at the bottom, then your meat, veggies and finally the lettuce and kale at the very top. This meal prep technique for your salad will keep the ingredients fresh and will keep in the fridge for up to five days!
When you're ready to enjoy your salad, move your ingredients from the mason jar into a bowl and enjoy!
Freezing the chicken
You have to options when it comes to freezing the chicken! If you're freezing the cooked chicken, you will want to make sure the chicken has cooled to room temperature then divide the leftovers into portions and place them into airtight meal prep containers or freezer-safe bags.
To freeze raw chicken that has been marinated, place your marinated chicken into an airtight container or a freezer-safe bag.
More delicious salad recipes
- Philly cheesesteak salad bowl
- Chili's Santa Fe chicken salad
- Sashimi tuna salad with carrot ginger dressing
Meal prep tools
- These are the mason jars I suggest for storing
- You can get larger 32oz mason jars too!
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you would rather layer these salads in a different container
- I like this salad dressing shaker to make homemade dressings and marinades easier
- These colourful mason jar lids are so fun and perfect for organizing your meals
- I get all my free-range chicken from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
Grilled Chicken, Avocado & Ranch BLT Salad
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 2 cups baby kale
- 1 head Romaine lettuce
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 8 slices turkey bacon
- 1 cup bocconcini cheese, sliced in half
- 1 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Balsamic Chicken Marinade
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat BBQ to med-high heat. Slice chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Place in a large plastic bag with marinade ingredients and mix together well, letting sit for 10 min or so.
- Meanwhile, add romaine and baby kale to big salad bowls. Add 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes and bocconcini to each. Divide red onion and sliced avocado among each.
- BBQ chicken for 4-5 min per side. Alternatively, chicken can be cooked in a 425 F degree oven for 15-20 minutes. Remove from BBQ/oven and set aside, then slice when cooled slightly.
- Meanwhile, mix together ingredients for ranch dressing and cook turkey bacon (5-7 min on med-high heat, flipping occasionally).
- Add chicken to each salad, toss with dressing and serve! If meal prepping, add all ingredients to resealable containers and serve dressing in small containers on the side. Refrigerate up to 5 days.