Fiesta Grilled Shrimp & Quinoa Salad
This Fiesta Grilled Shrimp & Quinoa Salad with veggie skewers and chipotle dressing is a healthy, delicious way to enjoy BBQ season in under 30 minutes!
Get ready for my very favourite, out-of-this-world shrimp marinade.
I think I make it maybe 50 times or more each summer?
Once the sun starts to come out more and we start to enter BBQ season, I'm always excited about the change in flavour combos as we head from hearty comfort foods to the smokey char of BBQ everything. I swear, grilling food just makes it taste SO much better. It's kind of a complete transformation in my mind, and you really don't even need much seasoning to make an ingredient shine.
Say hello to this Fiesta Grilled Shrimp & Quinoa Salad, where just about everything is grilled to perfection.
With the exception of the quinoa in this recipe, everything takes about 6 minutes total to grill on high heat. I think that's another reason I love BBQing things so much – it seriously takes no time at all! I put the shrimp on a couple long skewers and the veggies on another couple skewers, and then I grill them for 3 minutes per side, no longer or they will burn.
I mean, how easy is that?!
Chop up some lettuce, throw on some corn, red onion, quinoa, heirloom tomatoes, avocado and HABANERO HARVEST SNAPS (yum!!!) and you've got the most delicious, crunchy, full-of-summer-flavour dinner you could ever ask for!
I'm IN LOVE with this Fiesta Grilled Shrimp & Quinoa Salad!
To make it easy, you don't necessarily have to add everything pictured here. This Fiesta Grilled Shrimp & Quinoa Salad is another one of my favourite clear-everything-out-of-your-fridge meals that allows you to use up veggies that are going bad while also enjoying some of your favourite seasonal veggies.
I know every time I see those bright, multi-coloured cherry tomatoes in those giant packs in stores I'm almost running out and grabbing them every week and adding them to everything.
Now, the shrimp marinade. Yes, I know, I promised you that it's pretty much the best shrimp marinade you'll ever taste. And it's so simple too.
All you need is a bit of olive oil, some lemon juice, a pinch of Dijon mustard and a TON of garlic. Marinade the shrimp for 5-10 minutes before adding to skewers and you'll be making this the rest of the summer!
Combined with the heat and crunch of the habanero Harvest Snaps, and you'll never go back to another ordinary salad ever again.
The chipotle dressing is also remarkably simple, and something you can keep on hand in the fridge for up to 1 month because it's sour-cream based. When I'm in a giff, sometimes I buy storebought chipotle mayo and mix a little with water and sour cream and use that as a dressing, but this homemade stuff is healthier for you and takes only 5 minutes to whip together.
Use some adobo sauce from a can of chipotles, and mix it with some sour cream and a bit of BBQ sauce and lemon juice. Add some salt, some water and voila! Done!
Will you be making this Fiesta Grilled Shrimp & Quinoa Salad?
I think I could seriously eat these shrimp skewers every single day – cheers to more 10-minute marinades and vibrant, leafy 30-minute salads full of veggies and protein! I know I could get used to dinners like these…
Fiesta Grilled Shrimp & Quinoa Salad
- 1 lb shrimp (about 40 shrimp)
- 1/2 each red, green and yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups Heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Habanero Harvest Snaps
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp adobo sauce (from a can of chipotles)
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat BBQ to high heat. Meanwhile, marinate shrimp for 5-10 minutes. While marinating shrimp, cook quinoa according to package directions (should take about 10-12 min) then chop veggies and toss in a little bit of olive oil and salt. Put on skewers, then put shrimp on skewers.
- Grill shrimp and veggie skewers for 3 minutes per side. Make chipotle dressing while everything is cooking, then remove shrimp and veggies from heat and set aside.
- Build salads in four large bowls starting with romaine, then topping with quinoa, red onion, cherry tomatoes, avocado and Harvest Snaps. Divide shrimp and veggies among the bowls, drizzle with chipotle dressing and serve!