Calamari & Chow Mein Takeout Boxes
These Calamari & Chow Mein Takeout Boxes are perfect for that mid-week Chinese food craving – delicious, savoury and spicy noodles ready in just half an hour!
Calamari & Chow Mein Takeout Boxes. Yep, I know, I've done it again!!!
Ever get that mid-week craving for Chinese takeout or Thai food?
I know I have, and I'm not ashamed to say that it happens more than once or twice or week. Maybe sometimes even three or four times a week. Life is hard and food is good. Who is anyone to judge?
I mean, it's hard to eat well on a regular basis, especially when you work hard all week. You get tired and food prep is the last thing you think about, but good food is the number one thing you want.
My ultimate reward for surviving the day has always been dinner.
Savoury, over-the-top, indulgent dinner. The reward for slugging through the day. And I need lots of it.
But the problem is that I'm on this “clean” eating kick as of late where I'm really trying to eat as wholesomely as possible. I figure it's pretty good for the energy levels and all that! And since I work from home, I figure there's no excuse NOT to eat right.
But if you live with other people (and you probably do) then you know that this proves difficult when constantly surrounded by so much temptation and other people's eating habits.
Butttttt I have a solution now: TAKEOUT BOXES. First of all, you're minimizing dishes which is always a win-win. And second of all, eating out of a takeout box is almost just like getting the real thing from your neighbourhood Chinese food restaurant on your way home from work.
Also you should be like me and cheat with the calamari – I did use the frozen boxed kind, yes. Normally I don't believe in that kind of nonsense. And I mean, you could just as easily grill or saute some or even do the hand-breaded thing and fry 'em up…or you could even just skip the calamari altogether and go with some shrimp.
But it's the noodles, my friend, that are REALLY the star of the show here. Just look at them…
I just can't get enough.
These super fun takeout boxes can be found just about anywhere by the way. I found some at my local Bulk Barn but I'm sure the dollar store, some sections of your local grocery store or even a party store would have them.
So next time you're craving takeout, whip up a batch of this. Better for you than real takeout, and surely good for mind, body and soul.
I mean, noodles and Netflix can do that you know…
Will you be trying these Calamari & Chow Mein Takeout Boxes? What's your go-to takeout order? If you try any of my recipes be sure to let me know in the comments below, or on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook. – I’d love to hear from you!
Calamari & Chow Mein Takeout Boxes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- button mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups pre-chopped coleslaw mix I found mine at my local grocery store with green & red cabbage and carrots
- 1 cup green beans
- 1/2 red pepper sliced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp Sriracha
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 packages miki noodles 400 g, or pre-cooked Asian noodles of your choice
- 4 green onions sliced
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- 1 red chili pepper thinly sliced
- 1 box frozen breaded calamari
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Once preheated, bake calamari for allotted time on box (usually 10 min).
- Meanwhile, in a deep and large pan or wok, heat olive oil on med-high. Add mushrooms, cooking for 5 min stirring occasionally. Add green beans and cook another 3-4 min.
- Meanwhile, whisk soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, broth, sriracha and sesame oil together in separate bowl.
- Add coleslaw, red pepper and sauce to wok, then noodles, stirring to mix together. Cook for 3-4 min until noodles are well coated with sauce and veggies are tender. Remove from heat and stir in green onions.
- Garnish noodles with sesame seeds and slices of red chili pepper, then top with cooked calamari.
- Serve immediately and refrigerate leftovers up to five days.
Now sit back, relax and DIG IN!