Blackberry Watermelon Mojitos
It's Friday, the weekend is near and the sun is shining outside! To celebrate summer, I've got you covered this weekend with these Blackberry Watermelon Mojitos. This unique spin on the favourite Mojito cocktail is really refreshing and the perfect summer drink.
I love making different kinds of mojitos – whether they are berry flavoured or have a tropical twist – because they are minty, light, delicious and the ultimate chiller. The watermelon adds a subtle yet additionally fruity flavour, making for a naturally sweeter cocktail.
Watermelon is 92% water but has many health benefits including significant amounts of vitamin A, B6, C and it helps improve blood flow. This fruit's natural sweetness makes it a perfect addition to this refreshing cocktail and helps you skip on the simple syrup that is sometimes overdone in many mojitos because of the tart lime flavour. It's great juiced or blended and mixed with vodka, gin or rum – though the blackberries are an optional addition, I feel it adds a unique twist!
If you want to use something healthier than club soda then be sure to use sparkling water. It's similar in taste to club soda, and still has fizz. You'll need to kick up the lime and watermelon though!
This mojito is perfect for those summer BBQs and get togethers with friends – or for just sitting on the patio relaxing on a Friday!
- 1 small seedless watermelon
- Juice from 2 limes
- 2 tsp simple syrup
- 4 cans club soda or gingerale
- 20 mint leaves
- 2 sliced limes
- 6 oz vodka or rum
- Cut watermelon into 1 inch pieces, then puree in a blender with lime juice and simple syrup.
- To make simple syrup: boil water and mix about 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Strain watermelon mixture through a fine mesh strainer, straining once or twice as necessary into a large pitcher. Add club soda.
- Meanwhile, blend alcohol with 10 mint leaves, pulsing once or twice to slightly tear the fresh herbs. Pour mixture into pitcher.
- Add the rest of the mint leaves and sliced limes into the pitcher. Serve over ice in mason jar glasses and enjoy!