Baked Gnocchi with Summer Vegetables
This Baked Gnocchi with Summer Vegetables is the perfect mid-week summer night meal that comes together in under 30 minutes!
Hiiiiiii friends! How has your summer been going? Mine has been absolutely fantastic so far. I've been working outside, taking in the sun, trying to tan as much as possible…
Well, this week we had roofers here putting in a skylight and well, you know, re-doing our roof. Long story short, defective roof shingles caused our roof to be replaced 10 years sooner than it should have been. My parents are understandably mad about it, but what can you do? Anyway, my days of working outside were quite limited this week because of all that. What a tragedy right? And with all the noise and hectic-ness that goes into having a roof redone, NONE of us were in the mood to cook. But me, I always have to cook (hello, food blogger life over here…) so I thought I would make all of our lives easier with a Skillet Baked Gnocchi recipe. With Summer Vegetables. Boom.
This Baked Gnocchi recipe is perfect for when you hit that mid-week summer slump like us and just need something ready quick, but still crave something delicious and rich. And because I'm all about adding a healthy twist to everything, I've thrown in some summer veggies.
I recently participated in a Twitter party that really got me thinking about how lucky we are here in Southern Ontario to have access to many amazing kinds of local produce. Farmer's markets are such a joy to visit in the summer, and I've been rediscovering so many family farms and businesses in the area.
One of my mom's favourite farms is called Jerome Brothers – just on the edge of the Hamilton mountain before you start heading into Brantford. It's located in our small town of Ancaster and always has the freshest asparagus, strawberries and potatoes during the summer. My whole neighbourhood actually used to be potato farms about 40 or 50 years ago, and Jerome Brothers used to be a potato farm itself; it has since switched over to bringing in local produce from other farms in the area but it's still one of our go-to spots in town and only a five minute drive away! It really is amazing what you can get in your own neighbourhood if you look close enough.
Though I didn't handmade the gnocchi in this recipe using fresh potatoes (I wish I had!), this baked gnocchi recipe is just filled with all kinds of local Ontario produce, like sweet corn, asparagus, bell peppers and zucchini. As I learn more and more about food doing this blog, it's become more important to me than ever to cook seasonally and locally whenever possible, so I'm glad I got to be apart of such an important and fun discussion this past week, even if it was just on Twitter!
Will you be trying this Baked Gnocchi recipe? What are some of your favourite summer meals? If you try any of my recipes be sure to let me know in the comments, on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook – I’d love to hear from you!
Baked Gnocchi with Summer Vegetables
- 2 packages store-bought gnocchi
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup light cream 10%
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tsp lemon zest grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 bunch asparagus chopped
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 1/2 red pepper chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper chopped
- 2 cobs corn sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook gnocchi according to package directions (usually it isn't for more than 2-3 min).
- Meanwhile, melt butter either in large saucepan or large cast iron pan. Use the cast iron if you have it because then it can go right into the oven from there.
- Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add drained gnocchi, cream, parmesan cheese, lemon zest, salt and pepper, tossing all together. Add all the veggies, then toss again.
- If you're not using the cast iron pan, transfer mixture from large frying pan to a large casserole dish. Sprinkle basil overtop, then top with slices of mozzarella cheese and bake for 15 min.
- Remove from oven and serve right away!