Baked Chicken Parmesan with Zucchini Noodles
This Baked Chicken Parmesan with Zucchini Noodles is a delicious low-carb way to enjoy your favourite Italian dish AND get some extra vegetables in!
Inspired by Pinch of Yum's recipe, I've made my Baked Chicken Parmesan a lighter option by using a small amount of Panko breadcrumbs and baking my chicken oil-free in the oven. To save even more calories, I've put our chicken over a bed of zucchini noodles made with a spiralizer!
You can still use the same ingredients in your fave dishes. While I didn't fry this breaded chicken, I did use my favourite tomato sauce and cheese. Using fresh mozzarella cheese is the only way to truly create an authentic chicken parmesan dish – look for it in the grocery store where the pizza ingredients are sold. It's the same cheese you would use when cooking homemade pizza!
This Baked Chicken Parmesan is seriously an amazing and easy mid-week dinner idea. It takes only about 30 minutes to make it from start to finish, and the best part is that once the chicken goes in the oven, you are free use quickly make the zucchini “noodles” using a spiralizer.
I bought this super simple spiralizer from Kitchen Stuff Plus that works similarly to a pencil sharpener, and I can crank out the noodles in about 20 seconds flat!
I remember my mom pounding chicken with a meat cleaver and being put off by how much work went into making Parmesan Chicken. None of that with this recipe! Instead, I find cutting the chicken in half lengthwise while slightly frozen creates a perfectly flat piece of meat that is perfect for a quick bake in the oven. Since the chicken is flatter, it will cook faster.
If you're really craving some carbs with this meal, you can always cook up a little bit of spaghetti and toss it in a bit more sauce, laying it overtop of the zucchini. Keep in mind the zucchini will cook with the heat of the chicken so it does not need to be sauteed or warmed up itself. I hope you enjoy this 30 minute meal as much as I did!
Baked Parmesan Chicken with Zucchini Noodles
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce of your choice divided (we love Classico Roasted Garlic & Onion)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice chicken in half lengthwise. Pour breadcrumbs, flour and egg into one bowl each. Take each piece of chicken and dip in egg, then coat in flour, and then breadcrumbs. Repeat for each piece. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven on parchment paper for 15-20 minutes until chicken is fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, using a spiralizer, turn the zucchini into thinly sliced "noodles".
- Remove from oven, coat in your favourite brand of tomato sauce, and then top with mozzarella cheese.
- Cook for another 5-8 minutes until cheese is fully melted and sauce is hot.