Here's how to make Golden Milk in just 5 minutes – all you need is your choice of milk, turmeric, cinnamon & ginger for this healing drink.
Ingredients in this drink
You only need 4 ingredients to make this easy turmeric latte! The sweetener is an optional 5th ingredient you can use if needed but I prefer this drink without the sweetener (you'll save on calories this way too).
- milk of choice – dairy or non-dairy (eg almond milk, coconut milk, etc.)
- ground turmeric
- maple syrup or honey (optional)
How to make golden milk
I don't think I have an easier recipe on my site than this golden milk! Here's how to make it:
- Assemble your ingredients.
- Add all ingredients to a milk frother and froth until heated. Alternatively, add all ingredients to a mug and microwave.
- Stir everything together.
- Serve and enjoy!
What does golden milk taste like?
Golden milk can be described as earthy, warm, and slightly bitter, mostly because of the turmeric. The ginger and cinnamon soften the flavor, making it taste similar to a spicy eggnog.
Your choice of milk can also enhance the flavor of the drink. I really like coconut milk- it makes the drink taste almost like chai, giving it extra creaminess.
What are the health benefits?
Every ingredient in this drink has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce stress, reduce fatigue, improve your digestion, and even boost your immune system.
The warmth and spiciness can also help soothe your sore throat.
Is Golden milk good for sleep?
Absolutely! Curcumin, the main compound in turmeric, eases the digestive system, helps detoxify the liver, and can lower blood sugar levels.
For some people, turmeric even helps them to fall asleep faster, sleep better, and wake up more refreshed.
- Milk – The original recipe for golden milk calls for cow’s milk, but you can use any plant-based milk you prefer. Almond, cashew or coconut milk all work well.
- Turmeric – You can use fresh turmeric if you can find it. Thinly slice or grate 1 inch of fresh turmeric into the milk.
- Cinnamon – Instead of ground cinnamon, simmer one whole stick of cinnamon with the rest of the ingredients.
- Ginger – Fresh ginger adds even more spiciness than powdered ginger. Use one inch of fresh grated or sliced ginger in place of the powder.
- Maple syrup – It isn’t necessary to have any sweetener in golden milk to make it healthy and delicious, but it sure adds to the experience! You could also use raw honey instead of maple syrup for its antioxidant and soothing properties.
Along with these ingredients, you can add a pinch of black pepper or 4-6 peppercorns to increase the absorption of the turmeric.
If you do use fresh spices in this, be sure to strain them out with a fine mesh strainer after you heat the milk.
Fresh vs ground turmeric
When it comes to making golden milk, there isn’t a lot of difference between fresh and ground turmeric. Fresh turmeric does add extra zing to the drink but because it is heated, the difference isn’t that major.
The biggest difference between the two is their availability in stores. You can find ground turmeric in the spice section of most grocery stores. Fresh turmeric is found mostly in the produce section of specialty food markets, or in Asian and Indian markets.
Another difference is shelf life. Fresh turmeric can last a few weeks in a refrigerator, or up to 3 months in a storage bag in the freezer. In comparison, ground turmeric can last for several months in the cupboard. Just keep it stored in an airtight container and away from light.
When you want to convert fresh turmeric to use instead of ground turmeric, remember that 1 inch of fresh turmeric equals 1 tablespoon freshly grated turmeric, which also equals 1 teaspoon ground turmeric.
Storing a large batch
It’s easy to make a double or triple batch of golden milk! To do this, just double or triple the ingredients accordingly.
After you do that, you can store any leftovers in an airtight container or a canning jar in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to 3 days and then you can just reheat in the microwave from there.
More comforting drink recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- You can order a milk frother online
5-Minute Golden Milk
- 1 cup milk of choice dairy or non-dairy (eg almond milk, coconut milk, etc.) I prefer coconut milk
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a milk frother and froth until heated.
- Alternatively, add all ingredients to a mug and microwave for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Stir one more time, then serve and enjoy!