After a long day of working, sometimes I just want something simple. I think you all know that I’m a hugeeeeee fan of 30 minute meals – take these Steak & Quinoa Burrito Bowls for instance, or this One Pot Beef Stroganoff.?
Pretty much the only thing I love about January and February is the food. Straight up, I live my life around food and meal planning in the wintertime. Everybody goes out a little less, and going out means truly appreciating coming back to a warm and cozy home for a comforting, piping hot meal. Winter is also when citrus fruits are in season. Enter this Tequila Citrus Chicken, and its delicious side of Cheesy Potato Wedges.?
Tequila is actually the perfect marinade, and I don’t know why I haven’t attempted to cook with it before. I’ve definitely experimented with vodka, but didn’t think to use any other kind of liquor in my cooking until recently. As with cocktails, tequila pairs perfectly with citrus fruits (like my favourite, the Paloma). Naturally, the triple citrus blend of grapefruit, lemon and lime tastes amazing as a marinade and is definitely going to become a staple marinade in my book!?
During these dark and dreary months, there’s nothing better than a little tropical flavour. I think the only thing I’m liking about this winter in Toronto is that it is milder than normal and I’ve had the opportunity to stay in and cook a little bit more than usual. I don’t know about you, but I can be such a homebody and experimenting with different flavours really makes me happy. I think that really the only way you can improve as a home cook is to experiment with flavours, and try to never cook the same thing twice.?
If you’ve never made potato wedges, now is the time to start! These cheesy potato wedges are an amazing accompaniment to this meal – like a take on loaded fries or chili cheese fries, but as a side dish! All you need is a small amount of your favourite cheese, some diced red pepper and green onion, or any other kind of toppings your heart desires. Some jalapeños would be amazing here, just saying…?
Are you going to try some Tequila Citrus Chicken for yourself? How about these Cheesy Potato Wedges? If you try either, tag me on Instagram and Twitter – I’d love to see what kinds of toppings you use for the wedges!?
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp tequila
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Juice of ½ lime
- Juice of ½ ruby red grapefruit
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 russet potato
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2-3 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Mix together the marinade for the chicken and let sit in a plastic bag for 30 minutes in the fridge (and up to 24 hours).
- Meanwhile, cut the potato into wedges, and rinse in water to remove starch. Dry potato wedges with a clean towel and place in a large bowl. Toss with olive oil, minced garlic, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Put chicken in the oven in an oven-safe container, cooking for 30 minutes until cooked through.
- Arrange wedges on a baking sheet. After chicken has been in the oven for about 5 minutes, put wedges in the oven to cook for about 12-13 minutes.
- Flip wedges and cook for another 10 minutes. Remove chicken and potatoes from the oven.
- Sprinkle wedges with cheddar cheese and red pepper and cook until just melted.
- Sprinkle wedges with green onions and serve alongside chicken. Enjoy!